You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My only wish (or 2)

I switched to Affinity in 2019 because I new once I left Mac Mojave my Adobe software was going to be abandoned and I refuse to reside and pay "rent" in the Adobe kingdom in the clouds. I'm retired now and use the software as a hobby, and I would like to see the following considered:

1. Permanent (non-disappearing) curves. I do more work with curves than masks. I am so tired of having to continually having to remember to dupe my curve before making a selection out of it in order to have the curve available for future use. There may be other workarounds for this dilemma, but really, should there have to be any workarounds for this? I know I can make a mask after making the curve, but if adjustments are needed, I would rather make them from the curve than refine the mask. I have issues with masking that I won't waste time going into here.

2. I see Photo V2 (haven't opened Designer or Publisher yet) appears to have a more robust Open Recent document retention. I would like to have the option to both limit the number of recent docs shown and/or turn off recent docs altogether. As it is now, I have to remember to go to the file menu and select clear menu. Why wouldn't I want to have quick access to recent files? Because I don't need to and it's just my preference. I'm a control freak on my computer and if I can't control a function I don't like it - plain and simple.

31 minutes ago, Jim57 said:

2. I see Photo V2 (haven't opened Designer or Publisher yet) appears to have a more robust Open Recent document retention. I would like to have the option to both limit the number of recent docs shown and/or turn off recent docs altogether. As it is now, I have to remember to go to the file menu and select clear menu. Why wouldn't I want to have quick access to recent files? Because I don't need to and it's just my preference. I'm a control freak on my computer and if I can't control a function I don't like it - plain and simple.

There's a Mac system setting for that, that the Affinity apps will honor.

On the other hand, Open Recent is a separate command in the File menu, and a separate button on the new dialog. So why not just ignore it. You never have to look at it unless you decide to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a Mac system setting for that, that the Affinity apps will honor.

On the other hand, Open Recent is a separate command in the File menu, and a separate button on the new dialog. So why not just ignore it. You never have to look at it unless you decide to.

Walt -

Are you are referring to the Mac system preferences setting General>Recent Items? I have it set to none. So the Affinity app in itself is not honoring it.

As for ignoring things, as I stated — I would prefer to have options to control which preferences I want and how I want them, not ignore them.

1 minute ago, Jim57 said:

So the Affinity app in itself is not honoring it.

Interesting. I haven't heard of that before.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I did a test and setting macOS' number of Recent Items to None will stop recent files from appearing in Affinity's Open Recent menu but will have no impact on the Recent pane of the New Document dialog. If you later turn macOS' setting from None to a value, all of your recent documents up to that value will appear in Affinity's Open Recent menu - recent files are still tracked but the OS determines how many are displayed.

Ideally the Recent pane in New Document should match the menu but this seems like small potatoes right now. I'm not belittling your desire to have it clear but just saying that there may be more important issues to address at this time.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

11 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I did a test and setting macOS' number of Recent Items to None will stop recent files from appearing in Affinity's Open Recent menu but will have no impact on the Recent pane of the New Document dialog. If you later turn macOS' setting from None to a value, all of your recent documents up to that value will appear in Affinity's Open Recent menu - recent files are still tracked but the OS determines how many are displayed.

Ideally the Recent pane in New Document should match the menu but this seems like small potatoes right now. I'm not belittling your desire to have it clear but just saying that there may be more important issues to address at this time.

MikeTO,

I agree with you, my requests are not urgent and there are more important issues to address at this time. However, I did not state my issues were urgent. I did not insist they be done today, tomorrow or a year from now. I merely was posting what I would like to get. I paid my money for the upgrade and I’m entitled to voice my opinions in this forum just like anyone else. Correct me if I’m wrong about that.

16 hours ago, Jim57 said:

I like the way you think.

2 hours ago, debraspicher said:

I like the way you think.

It's frustrating when software companies invite user feedback and then seem to not listen to what people want. I'm not even talking about my 2 requests. I and apparently many others were expecting so much more from this upgrade in terms usable features and all we got was mostly a UI redesign.

2 hours ago, Jim57 said:

MikeTO,

I agree with you, my requests are not urgent and there are more important issues to address at this time. However, I did not state my issues were urgent. I did not insist they be done today, tomorrow or a year from now. I merely was posting what I would like to get. I paid my money for the upgrade and I’m entitled to voice my opinions in this forum just like anyone else. Correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Yeah, I like a good whinge every now and again! I think you are right that a customer should be allowed to dream...