You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2 PDF export for printig

Hi everyone,

I now tested designer v2 and i have some problems with pdf export.

I used an sample designer file (sample-thundercat-by-ellspheekl), and when I use PDF export (no matter what settings) the PDF is missing some details and is lighter overall.
The same problem is with EPS and SVG export. jpeg, png Psd and others are all ok.

Anyone know what's going wrong here?

My configuration, Mac, Big Sur, Designer v2

Thanks a lot

Alex

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-10 um 19.16.02.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

It basically comes down to the complexity of the file due to the amount of different types of objects, layers, gradients, effects etc. The way it's been structured and placed into groups will be perhaps losing things such as opacity. This will be the same for SVG and EPS as elements aren't supported.

The samples files haven't really been designed to be exported from the apps.

Thanks for answer.
This is really not good though, and is a serious bug in my opinion. 
What is the point of software if I can create complex files, but cannot use them or place them in another program (even within Affinity)?

Will these errors still be fixed, or is Affinity only aimed at hobby users?

On 11/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, Lee D said:

The samples files haven't really been designed to be exported from the apps.

Are these files from the various Affinity Workbooks?
If so then I can understand that they may have been 'locked' in some way as (from what I have read about accessing them) they are only available to those who bought the workbook, and presume they are for practising the tutorials with and not for general circulation.

Is that the case?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

Hi , no not workbook, the samples are from Affinity Designer 2 menu "New>Examples>Thundercat"

And it seems, that the layer "Overlay" make the problems.
But no matter, the settings have to fit and what is displayed should look the same, no matter where it is exported to.

In graphic design, a distinction has always been made between the draft and the final artwork, which takes into account all the necessary technical conditions for further processing. Serif "saved" the last step because no further processing was planned. Understandable, isn't it?

Thanks to DeepL.

Having played with the file, I get the same result, but initially the image is as it is and then another layer appears and fades the image. It exports fine as a png, but has problems as a pdf - almost as if there is a copyright layer stopping it displaying properly. I get the same image in Foxit Pro, Adobe Reader and Safari - though Safari opens it up quickly.

I think, as Palatino says "In graphic design, a distinction has always been made between the draft and the final artwork, which takes into account all the necessary technical conditions for further processing. Serif "saved" the last step because no further processing was planned. Understandable, isn't it?"

and Lee D "The samples files haven't really been designed to be exported from the apps."

I don't think there would be the same problem if you re-created the image yourself from scratch.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200