You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White balance not working with not RAW files

NZezula

Dear Affinity team: I'd like to bring back this topic again: 

the white balance feature should be the FIRST PRIORITY in the bug fixes list. How is this not fixed yet after more than 2 years!?

White balance is literally the first step in any photo editing workflow...

I started thinking that maybe you didn't understand what to fix, because the other thread was a mess, let me synthesise the problem, maybe this helps, this is what the white balance tool should do:

- open the white balance tool

-click on the colour picker

-click on any pixel in the raster image

-the chosen pixel RGB should be equalized to the average value (for example RGB before = 120, 130, 140  ---> RGB after = 130, 130, 130)

-the same RGB shift should be applied to all the other pixel in the image

Edited by rikkarlo2

• 3 months later...

2.4 still not fixed.... I'd really like to know how the dev team/management decides priorities... They already have the correct code to make it work since the same tool works in the develop persona for raw files... it's just a matter of copy pasting the same code into the photo persona and in the develop persona for non-raw files... I can't understand a single reason why every new feature they included in the 2.4 is more important than the bugged white balance tool... who cares about sorting stuff XD if I can't make my photos look good.

• Staff
22 hours ago, rikkarlo2 said:

2.4 still not fixed.... I'd really like to know how the dev team/management decides priorities... They already have the correct code to make it work since the same tool works in the develop persona for raw files... it's just a matter of copy pasting the same code into the photo persona and in the develop persona for non-raw files... I can't understand a single reason why every new feature they included in the 2.4 is more important than the bugged white balance tool... who cares about sorting stuff XD if I can't make my photos look good.

I completely understand your frustration @rikkarlo2 I have bumped this logged issue with our developers.

Thanks for your fast answer, I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but after three years from the first bug report on this we still don't have any clue about when it could be fixed or if it will be fixed at all, and I'm starting losing hopes :).

• Staff
2 hours ago, rikkarlo2 said:

Thanks for your fast answer, I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but after three years from the first bug report on this we still don't have any clue about when it could be fixed or if it will be fixed at all, and I'm starting losing hopes :).

No need to apologise :)

• 3 weeks later...

In Photo, Affinity 2.4, White Balance adjustment layer, "Picker" simply turns off when clicked; same with Curves, and Affinity Photo 1.10.8.18 (which I still have installed), though I remember it working previously on AP 1.  I even tried moving both apps to an external hard drive.  (The photograph was under fluorescent lights and the chosen WB camera setting came out rather pink).  I'm on a MacBook Air 2020 (M1).  Is there any way to add in a fixed white point (ie. 255/255/255 in RGB) rather than depend on visual?

P3150006 2.JPG

• Staff

Hi cmyoung,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I advise you to change your username to prevent spammers from collect your e-mail. You can do so here.

Regarding the White Balance, there's a few issues here I need to log/update. Besides the picker button, it doesn't seem to be working correctly with processed files (JPG's, TIFF etc). The tint slider is fixed/ignored.

Curves has the same issue with the button (and mouse cursor) but is working for me. Make sure you click and drag (just a bit) for the point to appear in the curves graph. I will take this to the dev team as well - a click should be enough.

If you have the image above as a RAW, try the White Balance Tool in Develop Persona which does work correctly.
Sorry for the trouble this is causing you.

Thanks, MEB, that was helpful.  (I did change my username, although twice, because after you change it the result shows the old name, yet says it's been changed).

Yes, it's a JPG file.  On the White Balance adjustment layer picker won't click but both sliders work (white balance and tint), same with curves (no picker, but sliding the cursor works).  And the Colour Picker tool works as well, also the picker on the colour panel.  So I do have options, thanks.

(the oriing

P3150006.JPG