You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you create assets that are in line with a text font at a particular size ?

Since if I create an asset I can't tell how to make it match font size 13,

and,

It seems any jpeg i create or png still has invisible borders that push the lines above and below.

I don't want to change the size each time I drop it into the text.

That's it ! Pardon me,

I'm not used to doing this at all, very specific quick steps would be very appreciated.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Chickadee said:

It seems any jpeg i create or png still has invisible borders that push the lines above and below.

(...) very specific quick steps would be very appreciated.

Is your issue solved? If not: what "lines" are you talking about, respectively does "create" refer to export, "push" refer to pinned objects and "assets" to items in the Asset panel?

Agree, very specific problem description would be very appreciated, possibly with screenshots.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you ! I am so happy to not be entirely alone....nice to arrive at the forum.

I just started to solve this, but not completely, and pardon I'm not an Affinity or Adobe professional.

I am setting up a book in 13 point font, and created my own object in apple graphic, brought it into as an asset, put it into the assets panel.

My first asset, and there are a collection of these to do....

works with 13 point font if it is 9.7 pixels high, using the vector crop tool to size the object first, then spacing out the text and putting the object in line with the text.

If it's in line with the text then the lines (ordinary english) of text above and below won't move. 

I'm sure this is crude and my fumbling around and words may not be correct. I wonder if I should just proceed or will it do weird stuff over the course of many pages with many instances of these. I'm also concerned about an ebook version that needs flowable text. For that one, later, I would put the assets as a jpeg on a separate line. I think. But for pdf i want them to often be in line with the text.

I'm doing it myself because I think this sort of thing would be very expensive were I to pay a typesetter to manage it.

I want to own my document to be editable in future. It's hard to even find a typesetter who uses indesign, let alone publisher... and willing to give me the publisher doc to edit myself...or teach me what they did.

Oh, of course, – hi @Chickadee,
Welcome to the Affinity Forums!

What I understand so far: you created a picture in an app called "apple graphic". Or in "InDesign"?
You want to use it as pixel image in one of the three Affinity apps for a book layout.
You added the image in Affinity to the Asset panel.
You want to combine this image within text of new text frames you create in Affinity, the image in 9.7 px height, the text in 13 pt.

Correct? If yes:
• Is a "Baseline Grid" activated for the text style, its frame or the document?
• Is "Text Wrap" activated for the image?
• Is the image pinned & nested in the Layers panel inside the text frame layer – or is the image layer outside the text layer?
• Do you want to use the images of your Asset panel each only once in the book or shall they appear a few or many times, respectively repeatedly on different pages?

1 hour ago, Chickadee said:

If it's in line with the text then the lines (ordinary english) of text above and below won't move. 

Where do you want the lines to move: vertically with their leading, or horizontally with line breaks?

Can you please upload a screenshot of your entire screen, including • Layers panel, • Character panel, • Asset panel, • Pinning panel, and with • the text frame fully visible and • the placed image selected in the layers panel?

EDIT: • What is your document resolution? In a 300 dpi document an image height of 9.7 px appears quite tiny within 13 pt text:

366360004_img10pxtext13pt.thumb.jpg.366e4bb46b6bb7d78f718e409e53a7ba.jpg

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1