You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Masking/Clearing peripheral noise

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Without knowing what the “edge-noise” looks like it will be difficult for us to know what is wrong or how to fix it.
If you can give us a visual, representational, example of the “edge-noise” then we can probably advise on this.

The source is the Moldvay '81 D&D books from the PDFs off of DriveThruRPG, so there are a few black line fragments/dots on the outer edge of the pages. I'm centering the text in a frame, but you can still see the noise in the "margins" in some places. I thought maybe there might be a way to create a mask for the margin/bleed area. Some of the noise is close enough to the text area that it'll probably show up if I printed it as is. The inner most rectangle (red) is the image-frame that I'm trying to keep all the information in.1589328600_Screenshot2022-08-28051541.png.9ea6c4a091c9454c86df10182c588b99.png

2 hours ago, WarBeer said:

The inner most rectangle (red) is the image-frame that I'm trying to keep all the information in.

What type of object is this red inner rectangle, how was it created? Have you tried the various Page Box options in the Context Toolbar with the placed PDF selected?

One way to mask parts of the placed PDF would be using a Picture Frame for each of them. This enables you to limit the visible area of its nested image (also check the Picture Frame Properties). – Another, maybe faster way would use a clipping rectangle, e.g. with the Vector Crop Tool.

Whereas for Picture Frames the placed resource is its nested child object, a masking object like the cropping tool rectangle would be a child object of the resource layer. So the two have different handling and advantages.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

What type of object is this red inner rectangle, how was it created? Have you tried the various Page Box options in the Context Toolbar with the placed PDF selected?

One way to mask parts of the placed PDF would be using a Picture Frame for each of them. This enables you to limit the visible area of its nested image (also check the Picture Frame Properties). – Another, maybe faster way would use a clipping rectangle, e.g. with the Vector Crop Tool.

Whereas for Picture Frames the placed resource is its nested child object, a masking object like the cropping tool rectangle would be a child object of the resource layer. So the two have different handling and advantages.

That Vector Crop tool did the trick in the blink of an eye!! Thank you very much!