You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Excessive file size

I'm working on a file in which I've been adding mostly jpgs and some pdfs. They are all placed as linked files.

The whole document is 36 pages and very basic. Nevertheless the file is 4,87 GB large!

How's this possible? I have checked the resource manage and all files are linked:

image.thumb.png.35537c48337512b745b955c8ffda1ef7.png

• Staff

Hi @Ecifircas,

Affinity is likely caching a lot of these linked assets when it shouldn't need to. Are you using an M1 Mac? There is an issue currently logged with the developers which relates to file sizes drastically increasing on some files when saving.

Could you try the below to see if this results in a reduction to your file size:

1. Open up Resource Manager
  2. Click on 'Size' to organise the file size from largest to smallest
  3. Set the first 5-6 images in the list to 'Embed' and save the file
  4. Go Back to Resource Manager and set the resources back to linked
  5. Save the file again and check if the file size has reduced.

If this does reduce the file size, try following the same steps but covering a significantly larger portion/all of your linked resources.

This resolved the issue for a user in the below thread, however they did perform this on an intel mac.

Let me know how this goes.

Hey I did the steps,

Strangely, after embedding the file size already went down to 1,26 GB.
But then after relinking the file size went further down to 51 MB. Much better!

The document seems to be intact. I do notice some slower loading when scrolling though.

Thanks!

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Tom de Meijer said:

I have a similar problem. A file of > 5 GB suddenly refuses to open, while it worked fine so far. I get the message "This file type is not supported". What is the ressource manager?

Welcome to the forums @Tom de Meijer,

It sounds like your issue is slightly different and is more likely related to a file corruption, I would suggest creating a new separate thread to avoid any confusion with this issue. 🙂