You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Animal Rights #1 - Story in one picture with three colors

MmmMaarten

I was inspired by a scientific podcast which does series on particular themes. This time about 'Are human beings animals' where in particular an episode about animal rights and lawyers for animals was very interesting. And had a few ideas in my head to tell a story with 3 colors and one image:

image.thumb.jpeg.2b29126b8a76ed7fdc1848792fa00690.jpeg

@AdamStanislav yeah, we're animals without a doubt. Just another animal species with our own pros and cons compared to other animals.

That's why it's such an interesting podcast series. I think it's interesting they seriously talked about animal rights to include in our legal systems, because of our growing awareness of the fact that other animals also feel, can be lonely, need love, play, remember, want company, raise and protect their children, want to fit in a group, deserve their freedom etc.. Like the idea that an animal who passes the mirror test (understanding to see yourself in a mirror), like an elphant could (at least some), could get a lawyer or even vote to fight his rights like humans can. Not exactly like adult human beings and clearly not for all animals (equally), but more compared to little children who do have rights in our system. It's pretty crazy that animals, in our Dutch legal system at least, aren't treated like animals in our legal systems, but literally called and treated like objects. That's weird, especially because we ourselves are animals too. I think that's a very interesting subject and good to see there are actually (scientific and in other areas) people thinking about these kind of topics, because it's crazy only humans have rights in 'our' system and we treat other animals, which are all family and we are strongly related, more than we tend to think, like objects and slaves. That's as weird as that we had humans as slaves in the past (and still in some places).

BTW I think a lot of 'our own animal species' are acting very much like vegetables at the moment. But this is not the place to get political and I don't want to either. Also, I'm no activist or vegan or whatever, but I am fascinated by this, it made me think after listening to that podcast (and hope others too) and think these scientists have very valid points.

But so far for now about this subject from my side on the Affinity forum (especially in a 'share your work' forum) ;)