You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing text afpub into fresh AF document

Have completed an AF document A, and wish to re-create same text document with new specs for margins, type etc. called B.

I seek advice on how best to do this.

Importing the A afpub file into new AF doc over-rides new doc settings - type does not re-flow, old settings are preserved.

I cannot save old file as a text only document. That would solve the issue as such text when imported would re-flow. That option is not available in the AF export options.

So how does one best reflow text to new specs?

I would also like to globally delete the old doc A, Para hard returns. How is this done?

Note: AF is not a generally-used abbreviation for any Affinity application. For Publisher you can use APu or APub.

Can you tell us exactly which “specs” you are changing?
What do you have now, and what will you be changing them too?
Different changes will have different effects and may need different workflows.

If you can tell us why you are making the changes then that might help too.

P.S. The question about deleting the hard returns would have been better-made in a separate thread, so that the answers to both issues don’t get mixed in together.

Thank you for your interest Garry.
Q1. I am changing type measure (column width, height and margins). I am changing type leading but retaining font size. My concern is all about getting the text into a file format that will flow into a new APub type area.

Q2. I include hard returns for text lines as they will probably obstruct text flowing into a new format and deleteing hard return globally prior to import seems to me a wise step.

I am making the changes to improve layout design. I cannot import original Word Doc as too many text changes have been made to the APub file.
I trust this helps.

Cheers,

For fewer then 100 pages (or so) I would be tempted to simply try and do this manually so I have full control over what happens; e.g. save the original document under a new name and then start resizing/moving things.

For much more than 100 pages I might look for another answer but I’d prefer not to rely on some kind of automatic process, especially if I hadn’t successfully used it often.

For any automated process you will have to manually check its output anyway so maybe the time taken to learn a new process and check its output will be not much less than if you did it all yourself.

Hi Garry,

The option you offer is the one I seek to avoid. I have 256 pages and I figure there must be a better way than page by page adjustment. Maybe there is third party software that will convert. I shall search. Meanwhile anyone who has a better option gets my vote for Genius of the Month.

Cheers,

I doubt that will happen any time soon as Serif would need to make their file format spec’s available to a 3rd party, and that probably wouldn’t be good for business. i.e. If anyone can create software – maybe cheaper/free, maybe better? – to read/write Affinity files then why should anyone buy the Affinity software from Serif?

That’s not a discussion for now though.