You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dark corners

Canon CR3 RAW files and this doesn't happen with every file but random files and always when the lens is wide open i.e 24mm. Some files when you open them in Photo have dark corners, like when you take a photo and it's catching the lens hood. If you open the image in Canons DPP it's ok but in Affinity Photo or Photo in windows the corners are dark this is also the case for Apple. I have spoken to Canon they seem to thinks it's the third party software as theirs works ok. Has anyone else had this problem

What you are describing is the vignetting caused by the design of the lens and the nature of light going through a lens. Some software can apply a graduated lightening to the corners for particular lenses. For Affinity Photo we can use the Develop Persona's Lens tab's Remove Lens Vignette option.

778261735_ScreenShot2022-07-29at9_05_29AM.png.a7afa6939471e9ec27b29dc522a38a98.png

Aside: Over the decades I just got used to the vignetting and overall lens distortion and now I just correct for Chromatic Aberration and Colour Fringing. The vignette (and distortion) lets you know it is a photo.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi Joe, 

I've replied to you via your email to our support team, but i'll answer here for visibility too, essentially Canon's Raw files contain patented adjustments above standard raw definitions that cannot be read by any other software, meaning you'll have to make manual adjustments as @Old Brucedescribed above.

Lee

Tried the Remove Lens Vignette option and it makes no difference the file looks ok as a icon it's only when it opened for editing that the vignetting  appears it also does this in Windows photo app and the Apple photo app but not Canons DPP.