You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GoPro Hero 7 Black RAW (.GPR) File Support?

Hi,

I wanted to process some images from my last vacation trip and found that Affinity Photo should in theory be able to open GoPro Raw photos from Hero 7 Black. However, it shows all as black pixels. The file should be fine though, I can open it on Photopea. See attached file.

Is something broken here or do I use it incorrectly? 

Kind regards
Florian

image.thumb.png.ac18f4308dccc2efeb543a909a3498a3.png

GOPR0913.GPR

• Staff

Hi @Florian Schwaiger,

As can be seen from the following list, the GoPro Hero 7 Black is unfortunately not a supported RAW camera model at this time - 

We hope to add support for this model in a future version, though I'm unable to provide an eta for this at this time, my apologies.

In the meantime, you could use a DNG converter, (such as Adobes free DNG converter - https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html) to convert the .GPR files to .DNG, which then allow these files to be edited in Affinity:

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all!

26 minutes ago, Florian Schwaiger said:

Just to clarify, the Hero7 is supported but the Hero7 Black is not?

That's correct, as I understand these cameras use different sensors and therefore each require specific support, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I very recently made the jump from Lightroom to Affinity Photo and am definitely wishing I'd found this beforehand 😅 I have both a DSLR and GoPro, but the GoPro is just way more practical to take on things like long hikes and motorcycle rides, and I'm able to take some pretty decent photos on it (thanks to post-processing!).

I'm not sure DNG conversion will get me exactly what I want, since Lightroom has the ability to flatten the GoPro's sometimes extreme wide angle fisheye lens distortion.

Either way, following in hopes of updates :) Thanks for all you do!

Edited by cee
unflatten->flatten - brain fart

Hi @cee

Maybe DarkTable or RawTherapee are better solutions.

https://www.darktable.org
https://www.rawtherapee.com

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

RawTherapee does not support GPR files at all, but Darktable does! I did actually poke a bit at Darktable but I found it's UI fairly difficult to quickly grasp as someone used to Lightroom (I loved Affinity for that reason from a usability perspective - it has much of the same sliders I use in LR to quickly get good effects - the only thing I'm really missing is LR's Dehaze slider).

Hm, I wonder if I could use Darktable to import and unflatten the fisheye effect and then save to a format that Affinity can edit. Worth investigating - the alternative is dropping $300 on upgrading to the latest GoPro 10, which isn't out of the question, but not something I was chomping at the bit to do.