You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I separate png elements into individual curves?

I want to convert a png file so the image elements become curves I can individually manipulate. I tried exporting as an SVG and converting to curves and it gives me one giant curve layer of the flat image. I do not have the option to separate the curves. Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

13 minutes ago, FireScribe said:

Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

Yes.

This is currently not possible in any of the Affinity applications. There are lots of Trace an Image requests here on the forums, do a search and you can find out what people are using.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, FireScribe said:

I want to convert a png file so the image elements become curves I can individually manipulate. I tried exporting as an SVG and converting to curves and it gives me one giant curve layer of the flat image. I do not have the option to separate the curves. Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

Before migrating to AD, I used Gravit Designer Pro. It has an automatic vectorization tool- just import image into it, then apply the vectorisation tool and it gets done. Even low res imaged got completely vectorized. It will of course need to be edited but at least you'll have a vector image which you can export as an SVG. I'm not sure if this feature is available in the free version but it's worth a try. You don't even need to download the software but try it out in the browser version.

https://designer.gravit.io/?newuser&_ga=2.61482094.312900482.1658041888-1103131997.1656889501  

1. Import raster file, go to Modify > Path > Vectorize image 

Alternatively, you can use Inkscape which is 100% and has come a long way from before. It practically has all possible features a vector graphic software needs and has the Image Trace feature- so many great tutorials on you Tube: 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, FireScribe said:

I want to convert a png file so the image elements become curves I can individually manipulate. I tried exporting as an SVG and converting to curves and it gives me one giant curve layer of the flat image.

Well, exporting a bitmap image (PNG) as an SVG will give you as a result just a SVG file with an base64 uuencoded embedded bitmap/raster image, so no vector curves at all here for the initial bitmap image.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, FireScribe said:

Am I trying to do something that cannot be done?

In order to get what you are after, aka a vectorization of a PNG image, you would need to use first some third party bitmap-to-vector vectorization tool, since Affinity doesn't have any build-in and afterwards (re)import the vectorized bitmap image (the SVG/PDF vector version of your PNG) into an Affinity app. So you have to perform a "PNG to SVG/PDF" (bitmap to vector) conversion with some third party tool first.

Some common available online tracers/vectorizers for quick turn arounds are for example ...

Online centerline supporting tracing tools:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2