You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blending Modes export

I designed a Logo for a client which is made of blended layers, now They want the elements of the logo separately in order to make an animated logo. How can I save a blended layer as a png without losing the blending mode? I attached below the design, and now I need to save each element on its own, the moment i export them they go normal without the Multiply mode. I know it needs a background to be visible, but i need it to stay transparent in order to give the final effect colored layers when they join 

4CB76F48-F6E0-4155-9BCA-00F7695B2128.png

1 hour ago, KarolinaBS said:

How can I save a blended layer as a png without losing the blending mode?

I don't think you can.

Files don't have blending modes; they're only part of a layer. And PNG files don't have layers. They are just a bunch of pixels. Blending happens in whatever software you use to create the final stack of images.

Perhaps your client could (assuming their software supports it), create a white background, load each PNG file in as a layer on top of that background, assign the blend mode to the layer, and then animate from there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Maybe the opportunities, advantages/disadvantages and purpose of certain file types are not completely clear to you. If you want to save a file you are working on in Affinity Photo, you should save it as *.afphoto file because this is the only file format that is  able to save all the accessories you are using to manipulate the image (guidelines, selections, layers, also adjustment layers, blend modes...).

*.jpeg is a good choice to export image files that are already edited, e.g. to archive them. But be aware of that the JPEG compression causes losses of quality. So don't compress more than necessary.

JPEG doesn't support transparencies. So if you have transparencies in your image file and want to keep them, you should export it as *.png. Its comression is lossless.

For professional printing, *.tif is a good choice. Some printers demand it. If you compress it with LZW, it is lossless too.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think you can.

Files don't have blending modes; they're only part of a layer. And PNG files don't have layers. They are just a bunch of pixels. Blending happens in whatever software you use to create the final stack of images.

Perhaps your client could (assuming their software supports it), create a white background, load each PNG file in as a layer on top of that background, assign the blend mode to the layer, and then animate from there.

Thank you so much walt. Will check that out with the client. 

1 hour ago, iconoclast said:

Maybe the opportunities, advantages/disadvantages and purpose of certain file types are not completely clear to you. If you want to save a file you are working on in Affinity Photo, you should save it as *.afphoto file because this is the only file format that is  able to save all the accessories you are using to manipulate the image (guidelines, selections, layers, also adjustment layers, blend modes...).

*.jpeg is a good choice to export image files that are already edited, e.g. to archive them. But be aware of that the JPEG compression causes losses of quality. So don't compress more than necessary.

JPEG doesn't support transparencies. So if you have transparencies in your image file and want to keep them, you should export it as *.png. Its comression is lossless.

For professional printing, *.tif is a good choice. Some printers demand it. If you compress it with LZW, it is lossless too.

Thank you for the clarification much appreciated