You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and Capture One

• Staff

Welcome to the forums L C :)

There's an Edit With option in Capture One that allows you to take images from Capture One and edit them in another app. I don't think it's working correctly with Affinity Photo when using TIFF. More information can be found here. However, if you use JPG it should work - I just tested the trial version and it worked.

I know a lot of users on this forum use CO, hopefully they will pop in and share their experiences with you :)

You can edit photos in AP from CaptureOne (version 8 or 9), but what Capture does is export the processed file as a Tiff and open it in AP, as external editor. When you are done with your photo in AP, you save it, but you have to flatten the tiff image, and your image gets updated in your Capture One catalogue.

CaptureOne works in the same way with all external editors, you can edit your image in the same way in Photoshop or any other external editor, but always a tiff file, not the raw image, that is not a problem with AP, it is the way Capture One works.

I personally think it works very well, because you can develop your image in CaptureOne, which is enough very often, and finish it when you feel necessary in your favorite external editor.

Thank you Carmen.

If I understand correctly, C1 will not allow AP to access the RAW image in its database.

Subsequently, if I want to work with the RAW image, I will have to export a copy, rework it in AP, then re-import it into C1 as a new image.

Is this correct?

L C

If you want to work with the RAW image, you have to work directly in the develop persona of AP and then import it in C1 as a new image. You cannot export a raw image from C1, you can export the image as a tiff, psd, jpg... but not a raw. You can make a copy of a raw file but you cannot export a raw file as a raw file in any program, because a raw is only an amount of data which must be interpreted to be visualized as an image, so in must be exported as an image file. 

The correct way to work with AP and C1 in combination is use the menu "edit in" which opens the image as a tiff in the external editor and when it is done, C1 automatically actualizes it, once it is saved.