You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Sticky" keys feature suggestion

Hi,

Let's say that my brush tool hotkey is "b" and eraser is on "e". While painting with brush tool i press and hold "e" hotkey now Affinity activates erase tool temporarily till i release "e". Then program go back to brush tool (goes back to previous used tool). I i just klick "e" - erase tool is activated normally. This would speed up painting process.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Richardas. :)

The default behaviour is that if you press and release B after using another tool you will switch to the Brush Tool, and if you then press and release E you will switch to the Eraser Tool. Pressing E again at that point will return you to the previously selected tool (the Brush Tool) so I don’t see any advantage in forcing the user to keep the E key depressed instead of simply pressing it a second time.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Pressing E again at that point will return you to the previously selected tool

? In my case (Windows): Pressing E again does not return to Brush, but cycles through all the other erase tools.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

1 minute ago, joe_l said:

? In my case (Windows): Pressing E again does not return to Brush, but cycles through all the other erase tools.

Ah, my mistake! I forgot about the cycling behaviour. Depending on your Preferences settings, you may need to press Shift with the hotkey to avoid cycling.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)