You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy grouped objects changes the line sizes

When I copy objects from one .afdesign file to another, the lines are destroyed if the objects are grouped. Example:

In copy-example-a.afdesign, I have this:

image.png.41e4295f1d4b938637021ebaec035b0c.png

The green square is a copy of the yellow, except I ungrouped and change the colour of the square.

Then I selected them and copied them to copy-example-b.afdesign, and presto, the lines in the grouped object are mangled:

image.png.807a4e6659e84a8dfb0c30207187db25.png

If I try to copy the opposite way, the lines become thinner instead.

I postulate that the behaviour of the ungrouped lines (including the border of the square) is the correct one.

The workaround seems to be to ungrouped before copying to another file, but it becomes cumbersome with more complex objects.

I use Affinity Designer 1.10.5 on iPad Pro 12.9", IPad OS 15.4.1. 

Best regards,
     Hans

copy-example-a.afdesign copy-example-b.afdesign

It's happening because copy-example-a.afdesign is a 300dpi document, and copy-example-b.afdesign is a 72dpi document.

If you paste into a 300dpi document, it works fine.

I'm not sure if that is correct behavior or not.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's happening because copy-example-a.afdesign is a 300dpi document, and copy-example-b.afdesign is a 72dpi document.

If you paste into a 300dpi document, it works fine.

I'm not sure if that is correct behavior or not.

Thanks. I suspected dpi might be part of the cause. Do you know where to change dpi in Designer on the iPad? That might be a workaround for me as well. The b-document was imported from Inkscape SVG, and I would like both to be 300 dpi, they are to be printed.

Still, if it was truly only a dpi problem:

• The square size should change as well.
  • It shouldn't matter if objects are grouped or not.

I consider both of these a bug.

1 hour ago, Dybkjær said:

Do you know where to change dpi in Designer on the iPad? That might be a workaround for me as well

I found it, in Document resize, arrow to the right, and then it is the first setting.

Also, it solved my problem. Thank you, Walt, for your pointer.

If the developers/supporters are reading this thread:

Please still record the above as a bug. When copying between 75 dpi and 300 dpi documents, everything should be converted consistently. Preferably like the ungrouped objects in the example, as that really is what I needed. But certainly not so that grouped and ungrouped objects are converted differently, and certainly not so that some objects (the lines and borders) are converted differently than others (the dimensions of the square).

• Staff

Hi @Dybkjær,

38 minutes ago, Dybkjær said:

Please still record the above as a bug. When copying between 75 dpi and 300 dpi documents, everything should be converted consistently. Preferably like the ungrouped objects in the example, as that really is what I needed. But certainly not so that grouped and ungrouped objects are converted differently, and certainly not so that some objects (the lines and borders) are converted differently than others (the dimensions of the square).

I can confirm this is not functionality as intended and the problem has been previously logged with the developers for resolution.