You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CMD-clicking to select multiple child adjustment layers = impossible

I'm not a Mac user, so this may not be the case. On Windows, I can not recall being able to CTL(CMD)+Click to select Child Adjustments.

EDIT, Wait, Hold the Door,

Just after typing the above, I went into AP to confirm a menu item. Well, I moved all the child adjustments out, above the background they're attached to. So I selected all of them, and using the menu Arrange>Move Inside, moved them all back to child adjustment layers. Here's the weird, not so weird when it comes to Affinity. Before doing this, like you I could not select them. Now I can, just make sure you're clicking on the label (name), not the thumbnail.

I'll probably go back in AP & discover I can no longer....

Just like I thought. Checked again in AP, and discovered this. I would say it's a bug..

When you first add adjustment layers, and they're child layers, then you can not using the Cmd or Ctl + Click to select them. There's a Menu item found only on the Right-Click Menu for the Layer Stacks, called Release Adjustment.

Release Adjustment moves it out, above the layer it's attached to. (There's a menu item, Arrange>Move Outside, that moves the adjustment layer out). But to Move several of the adjustment layers out, you must select one at a time, Right-Click (Windows) and choose Release Adjustment.

Once you have all the adjustment layers you want to group, moved out, then select all of them. You can use the Click first one, press & hold Shift, click the last one, and from the Arrange Menu, select Move inside. Once they're back inside (child layers), then you can use Cmd + Click to select them and Group.

IMHO, real fiddly, and probably a bug.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi AllFive,

It looks as though this is working for me on Mac I do have to click the layer names and not the thumbnails however.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I think this is what @allfive is referring to, and it is the same on Windows.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

You're putting them in different positions:

mask/child position (no multiple select) vs nested/child position (multiple select).

What @Ron P. posted is exactly my issue. 

JimmyJack, I thought my adjustment layers were in "nested" position. Have it set that way in the Preferences. So I'm confused. :)

2 hours ago, Hens said:

If the adj/filters are in the clip position(long horizontal blue line) they can be selected separately or by shift/ctrl+shift and moved/grouped.

Hens, thank you for clarifying the distinction for me, enough so that I can now select multiple adjustment layers. I really don't understand the functional difference between clipped and masked positions but I'll do the work to find out.

If memory is correct, I recall that all of James' tutorials talked about offering an adjustment layer to the vertical blue line, and in those instances it appeared that multiple layers were selectable. Whether my memory is accurate or not, that's what I adopted. 😁

Edited by allfive
clarity