You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beach ball

I'm not sure if the description is helpful in troubleshooting Affinity Photo but I'll try anyway.

It happens out of the blue that suddenly the "beach ball" comes and then nothing works. There is also no high load visible in the activity monitor, Affinity Photo is at maybe 5-6%. I have to kill the app because nothing in Affinity Photo reacts more.
Very often this error or effect occurs when I will saving or when I want to use an asset.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5
MacOSX 12.3.1
32GB Ram
1TB Fusiondrive 50% free

Affinity Photo-2022-05-09-112052.ips.zip

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff

Hi J3rry,

Do you have metal compute acceleration enabled in the apps preferences at all? does toggling this option off improve the beach balling or does it still occur?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Of course I have metal enabled. But as I wrote the effect/error was very seldom, 2-3 * per week. 

I can at the next time disable metal over a week and see if it will be better.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

What are the advantages of Metal acceleration and the disadvantages of OpenGL?
What do I have to consider?

• 2 weeks later...

The Failure is still present with Metal disabled. :(

I have to stop working with Affinity Photo because I don't want to loose my work. One bad thing is that after this failure occurs no more previews are generated for the files I export ... I have to log out and log in again or reboot. 

It looks that AP is not long enough waiting for the external harddrive to become ready. I have the "Folder for Save" now on the internal drive and it seems to working.

"Folder for Save" means the folder where I save the .afphoto files.

I'm having a similar problem with a MacBook Pro M1 with 32G Ram. I get the beach ball every 30 sec or so for around ten seconds. I am saving on the internal hard drive. Auto save is set to 300 seconds so I don't think that is the issue. metal acceleration is also enabled. 

After one week working without this problem, today it occurs again 😞

So its not a problem with waiting for external drive, as far as I can see

• 2 weeks later...

Also today AP run in this issue again. But because of the tip here in the forum it was only I opened the file and added a level adjustment, immediately tried to save … beach ball :(