You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer wont run

• Staff

Hi @swiftyUK

Did you get an error message during installation? 
Please ensure you have enough hard drive space https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/ then right click the .exe file and select Run as Administrator  and see if that resolves your issue. 

• Staff

Which OS are you using? 
If you are on Mac, when you open the app, does it show the name on the top Mac menu bar but does not display the UI? 

In this case if you select 'New'' from the Affinity dropdown menu this should open the UI.  

If the app is crashing on startup then please could you attach your crash report, the link below will advise you of the file location.  

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98904-where-to-find-crash-reports/&tab=comments#comment-529428  

Hi,

I am on win 10 - had no issues with AD until I upgraded to the latest version, it would open but all my assets disappeared. I did have some tech support but they were unable to retrieve all the missing assets. I did a clean install and now it won't open. I do not see a crash report, it starts opening/loading for a few seconds and then the splashscreen disappears - no message/warning nothing!!

I have tried several times with a fresh install, running as Admin - nothing, it simply wont run

• Staff

Could you try going through the below steps to revert the application to it's default settings which may resolve your issue.

The link below will advise you what is cleared and where assets are stored so they can be backed up.   

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98906-what-exactly-do-the-clear-user-data-options-clear/&tab=comments#comment-529435   

1. Press Win + R and enter %APPDATA% and navigate to the 'Affinity' Folder. 

2. Right click the Designer/Photo/Publisher folder and compress the folder to ZIP to create a backup. 

3. On the application shortcut, click once onto the shortcut, hold down control and right click > open the application whilst still holding down control. 

4. This will prompt a new menu 'Clear User Data' with three boxes ticked, press the 'Clear' at the bottom right hand corner. 

5. Load the application back up to confirm if this has resolved the issue. 

If this does not resolve your issue, please could you attach a screen recording of the issue in action. 

Still the same problem.

I could record a video but it would just show the splashscreen with 'Loading Fonts...' and then closing with no message

In the eventviewer, under Windows Logs|Application there is this error

Application: Designer.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.PersonaController.LoadFontsAndPropertyCollections(PersonaController*) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.InteropService.LoadFontsAndPropertyCollections() at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass66_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__1() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

My affinity folder under appdata is in Roaming not Local if that makes a difference?

Thanks

• Staff

Could you try resetting the font cache to see if that helps. 
https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/how-to-clear-font-cache-in-windows-10.html

If that does not resolve the issue, try loading the app with the following in the 'target' box within properties for the shortcut:

--disable-font-preview-cache

image.png