You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer iPad keeps crashing

Last 1 or 2 weeks designer on the iPad keeps crashing. Sometimes a restart helps.

designer latest version 1.10.5 and iPadOS 15.4.1. Can’t seem to find what the problem is.  Working in vector groups might be the crashing problem but I am not sure.

ivan

• Staff

Thanks for the report however for us to pass over to our developers we need a series of steps or process that reproduces the issue. Can you please expand on your workflow upto when the crash occurs? Does it only happen on an existing project or even on a new blank one?

Can you also confirm the model of iPad you have and also please check it's available storage.

21 hours ago, ivanvanbeek said:

designer on the iPad keeps crashing

If you want to provide a relevant crash report, go to ‘Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data’ and search through the list for ‘Designer iPad’. Share the most recent *.ips file to ‘On my iPad’ or cloud storage, and then attach it to a new post here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you want to provide a relevant crash report, go to ‘Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data’ and search through the list for ‘Designer iPad’. Share the most recent *.ips file to ‘On my iPad’ or cloud storage, and then attach it to a new post here.

Hi Alfred/Lee,

Thanks for the reply, these are the most recent ones I could find.  Hope you can work with them otherwise let me know.

kind regards,

ivan

ExcUserFault_MessagesViewService-2022-05-02-111316.ips ExcUserFault_amsengagementd-2022-05-01-124400.ips ResetCounter-2022-05-01-124350.ips aggregated.diskwrites_resource-2021-11-19-235017.ips

Thanks for trying, Ivan, but those aren’t the right ones. The name will be something like

Designer iPad-2022-05-01-122559.ips

(i.e. ‘Designer iPad’ followed by a timestamp).

Perhaps you could also take the opportunity to answer Lee’s questions that I distracted your attention from. (Sorry, Lee!)

Alfred spacer.png

That is indeed from January (2022-01-11 is January 11th) but maybe it will give the developers some useful information. However, they’ll still need the additional details that @Lee D mentioned:

On 5/3/2022 at 8:41 AM, Lee D said:

Thanks for the report however for us to pass over to our developers we need a series of steps or process that reproduces the issue. Can you please expand on your workflow upto when the crash occurs? Does it only happen on an existing project or even on a new blank one?

Can you also confirm the model of iPad you have and also please check it's available storage.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

The crash report from 2022-01-11 I believe was closed due to it taking to long to open as it does reference watchdog which is part of iOS which can kill apps that are taking longer to load. Now this could be caused by having a lot of open documents within the app, so if you do it may be worth saving and closing some of them.

The other other sent via message 2022-05-03, that one also references watchdog but also Apple Photos. Where any images being loaded or placed from Photos app, if so try moving them to cloud storage or a local folder within the iPads storage via the Files app and inserting from them from there instead.

For us to log a bug with our developers to investigate we need to try to reproduce it on our iPads following a series of steps, this way the process can be deconstructed to narrow down/find the cause. Take a look at your workflow to see if this is possible otherwise we may not be able to reproduce the bug.

Just now, Lee D said:

The crash report from 2022-01-11 I believe was closed due to it taking to long to open as it does reference watchdog which is part of iOS which can kill apps that are taking longer to load. Now this could be caused by having a lot of open documents within the app, so if you do it may be worth saving and closing some of them.

The other other sent via message 2022-05-03, that one also references watchdog but also Apple Photos. Where any images being loaded or placed from Photos app, if so try moving them to cloud storage or a local folder within the iPads storage via the Files app and inserting from them from there instead.

For us to log a bug with our developers to investigate we need to try to reproduce it on our iPads following a series of steps, this way the process can be deconstructed to narrow down/find the cause. Take a look at your workflow to see if this is possible otherwise we may not be able to reproduce the bug.

Hi Lee,  I also was thinking about what could be the reason for the crashes. At the moment i experienced them (hard to get screenshot for them or whatever as i don’t know when to expect them) i was immediately thinking about the internet connection to the cloud (for the auto save but also for the imported photo’s). For know I don’t experience them so its hard to make conclusions for me also because I don’t have a saved ips-file that include the recent crashes. But I’ll keep my attentions to it and inform you when it happens again, i understand it’s too hard for all to replicate the situation.

Many thanks for the reply for now.

Ivan