You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with transparacy/colours (Designer)

When using images or effects on text/objects, I get  an issue when exporting. For example, the image below with the traffic cone has a completely transparent background (I've checked repeatedly) but the area of its bounding box creates a slightly different colour.

The other image is just text with effects added, and again there's a colour issue matching the bounding box of the text. The purple background should be a smooth gradient, but you can see discolouration where the bounding box is. I can't figure this out.

It only seems to happen when using an image, or applying an effect.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

_issue-01.jpg

_issue-02.jpg

hi, 

any chance you can upload the actual designer file, and a screenshot of the export settings used?
Does the issue only happen if files are printed?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

What i see is you use layer fx, outline on the text.

just moonshots:

1. could you try to use appearance, and add a stroke to outside instead instead of layer fx?
  2. the document itself is RGB/8, but you export to cmyk. 
  3. can you try to rasterize all (merge visible) before export ( for printing)?
  4. Which print method do you use, directly from Affinity, or do you print the exported PDF?
    in general, it is better to let the print driver handle color formats, and don’t use Affinity’s print function. Use the OS print preview and print function instead.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The embedded image has some residual transparency. This could cause the printing issue.

You can see this if you

• rasterise image layer
  • add a levels adjustment, 
  • select alpha
  • set white level to 0. Now all partial transparent pixels become fully opaque. Fully erase transparent pixels (Pixel Persona, Erase brush, use basic brush, 100% hardens etc).
  • Then rasterise and trim. Now the bounding box should be smaller. Otherwise you did not erase all partial transparency.

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 19.45.06.png

• Staff

Hi @JeffreyDriver,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Firstly I believe the issue with the cone image occurs when exporting due to a difference in colour space - the cone is placed in RGB but being exported to CMYK, which is affecting the transparency values.

If you right click on the cone image and select Rasterise before exporting, you should find this no longer occurs.

In regards to the text, this is also being rasterised on export & having it's colour converted, due to layer FX being used - I'd recommend disabling the layer FX and simply adding a stroke to the text, which will achieve the same affect but stop the text from being rasterised upon export.

I hope this helps :)

Edit - I have also noticed that 'Connor' is spelt in 2 different variations on the Cone artboard, which you may wish to correct before exporting!