You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher keeps saying document is modified

Hi,

I'm running the newest version Publisher. It keeps telling me certain documents are modified even if I've only just opened them which doesn't make sense. Also, when exporting these as a small size PDF (72dpi images compressed etc) they are 22 mb in size which considering the original images aren't that large is ridiculous. Any ideas?

Paul

For the question about the document being modified: are there any entries in the History panel?

If so, the document has been modified, unless you've just opened a file that was saved with history.

I'll guess that you didn't "just Open", but did something else like Exporting it. That will cause the application to record your export settings in the document as a default for future uses of Export, and that counts as a change to the document (even if it's not a change to your design).

Others have complained about that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Paul Round said:

It keeps telling me certain documents are modified even if I've only just opened them which doesn't make sense

It may be a toast regarding Linked documents you're seeing, if they have been modified externally and not yet updated in your document - could you please provide a screenshot of this here for me? :) 

Thanks for the feedback! It turns out a linked image was being reversed in the document, so I'm guessing that was causing the modified message every time? Still trying to work why exporting with the small digital PDF preset is giving me a large file (22-27mb) rather than the usual 1 or 2 mb files I usually get with this option on other documents?

Cheers,

Paul

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me - if you open the Resource Manager, select your linked document and then click Update Resource you should hopefully find this toast stops showing.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, Paul Round said:

Still trying to work why exporting with the small digital PDF preset is giving me a large file (22-27mb) rather than the usual 1 or 2 mb files I usually get with this option on other documents?

I'm going to need a copy of your .afpub file and any linked resources in order to investigate this - can you please use the File > Save as Package option from Publisher into a new folder, then upload this folder & contents to the below link for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8f4g2489zwGIcvyu5C5J

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know - many thanks in advance :)

6 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me - if you open the Resource Manager, select your linked document and then click Update Resource you should hopefully find this toast stops showing.

I'm going to need a copy of your .afpub file and any linked resources in order to investigate this - can you please use the File > Save as Package option from Publisher into a new folder, then upload this folder & contents to the below link for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/8f4g2489zwGIcvyu5C5J

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know - many thanks in advance :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into this for me! I can confirm I've uploaded the relevant package

Paul

• Staff

Many thanks for providing that for me!

I've exported your file here and used Acrobat to check how much 'space' is used in this PDF per 'component'. 25.7mb of your PDF is the images used in the document:

image.png

However I have also tried reducing the JPEG compression value to 1% in the export settings (the default for this preset is 85%), and the PDF produced is the same size, with seemingly the same compression values used.

This isn't expected and I'm unsure of the cause of this within your document currently, as it appears to work as expected in my separate test file.

Therefore I'm logging your file as a bug with our development team to be investigated further - I hope this helps :)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Paul Round said:

A few of the images have really high DPI (over a 1,000 DPI). Could those be throwing a spanner in the works somehow?

The Placed DPI should still be accounted for when the app is choosing which images to downsample - in my test document I have images around 1000 & 2000 Placed DPI and they are all correctly compressed to my set amount, so I don't explicitly believe this to be the cause of the issue in your file :) 

• Staff

@Paul Round, our QA team have investigated this issue and we believe to have found the cause - documents created using RGB/16, RGB/32 & Grey/16 currently do not correctly respond to the JPEG compression setting, which is logged with our developers as a bug.

If you convert your document to RGB/8 and export again, you should find adjusting this slider will now take affect and you can reduce the size of your PDF as required.

I hope this helps!