You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening files from the cloud (network drives)

I've noticed recently in Photo on my iPad, that I'm unable to Import From Cloud or Open From Cloud.

When I use either option I get a file navigator dialog, and I can navigate to one of my accessible network drives, and I can see the files. They show as selectable (not grayed out).

But if I click on one of them, nothing happens. If I long-press, I can use Get Info, which shows everything correctly. But if I then press/click the Open button, nothing happens.

Is there some known problem with this?

I would even accept (though reluctantly) having to copy the file to my iPad, but I can't figure out how to do that, either.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell I have no issue using the Files app/iCloud combo either importing files from affinity or via the share function of the Files app itself. I reinstalled AP and it’s the same, no issues, so besides the things you already have tried yourself like hard rebooting iPad, or upgrading to the latest version of the app/iPadOS etc, I have no idea what could be the cause. Dragging the files in Photo from iCloud Drive using the multitasking window is, as you already know, probably the best way to deal with this issue for now. All the best! 

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

43 minutes ago, iuli said:

Dragging the files in Photo from iCloud Drive using the multitasking window

Multitasking window?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I've noticed recently in Photo on my iPad, that I'm unable to Import From Cloud or Open From Cloud.

When I use either option I get a file navigator dialog, and I can navigate to one of my accessible network drives, and I can see the files. They show as selectable (not grayed out).

But if I click on one of them, nothing happens. If I long-press, I can use Get Info, which shows everything correctly. But if I then press/click the Open button, nothing happens.

Is there some known problem with this?

I would even accept (though reluctantly) having to copy the file to my iPad, but I can't figure out how to do that, either.

Never tried this before Walt so thought I would quickly give it a go for you, seems to work fine. I would as always recommend rebooting both your iPad and your remote storage.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 4/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, iuli said:

Sorry for the confusion, I meant (edit) drag & drop

Thanks for the idea. I tried it, and I was able to drag a TIFF file from the Files app onto Photo, but Photo immediately crashed.

-- Walt
PC:

That’s very unfortunate @walt.farrell

As you probably know already, a issue similar to yours has been reported as a bug here: 

Hopefully the mods will forward this bug to developers and a quick fix will be available soon.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard