You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Print

I'm trying to print a couple of A4 pages wirelessly, and although the printer seems to receive the jobs e.g. waking from sleep mode, it doesn't print. I don't have this issue with other applications, including Designer. This is occurring using the latest version (1.10.5.1342) with Windows 10 (21H2) on an HP ENVY 5000 series printer, which also is up-to-date.

Thanks.

The first place to check is the print queue under settings \ devices and see if there is anything there showing an error in the see what's printing. If nothing there post a clip of your print dialogue setting ins publisher which may help with giving an answer

image.png.9f7734b0fa1c8e4232d8e9b5aa1f22e9.png 

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

On 4/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, karbhard said:

I don't have this issue with other applications, including Designer.

Open that publisher document with Designer and let us know if it prints then

Also, when you say it does not print. Does it just print a blank page or no paper is ejected from the printer?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Open that publisher document with Designer and let us know if it prints then

Cheers @carl123, I had the same issue in Designer that I did in Publisher, even though I was able to print in Designer before. This led me to think that there could be an issue with the document itself.

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Also, when you say it does not print. Does it just print a blank page or no paper is ejected from the printer?

The printer strangely sounded as if it was going to print but didn't and no paper was ejected.

I decided to print a test page in Designer, which worked. Following this, I tried printing a blank A4 document in Publisher, which did result in the paper being ejected.

After remaking the document in Publisher from scratch using Arial, it printed as expected. Once I set the text in the typeface I initially used, Inter, however, the problem resurfaced. Even updating to the latest version of the fonts (3.19) didn't resolve the issue.

I'm sure flattening the document or exporting a PDF to print externally are simple enough workarounds, but thanks to this experience, I may just use another font family.

Inter is a variable font which are (currently) not supported in the Affinity apps

I am though surprised that no paper was ejected when you tried to print with that font

Maybe the printer detected something catastrophically wrong with the Affinity doc (using that font) that forced it to abort the print

If you still have that document and it is not confidential maybe uploading it to the forum could help Affinity test this in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Inter is a variable font which are (currently) not supported in the Affinity apps

I am though surprised that no paper was ejected when you tried to print with that font

Maybe the printer detected something catastrophically wrong with the Affinity doc (using that font) that forced it to abort the print

If you still have that document and it is not confidential maybe uploading it to the forum could help Affinity test this in the future

After reading that version 3.10 of Inter resolved another issue in an Adobe Support Community thread, I decided to try it for myself and can confirm the non-variable desktop TTF files of the typeface did print in Publisher in most weights (haven't tested italics).

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to reproduce the issue I had by setting filler text in Publisher using the desktop OTF files included with Inter v3.19.

5 hours ago, karbhard said:

After remaking the document in Publisher from scratch using Arial, it printed as expected. Once I set the text in the typeface I initially used, Inter, however, the problem resurfaced. Even updating to the latest version of the fonts (3.19) didn't resolve the issue.

Your printer may not like the uncommon UPM (2816) in the Inter fonts.

Can you Export to PDF, or print to a PDF printer, or print to an image printer? If that works then it is most likely a printer driver issue.

You can also test by changing the fonts used to the Inter Display fonts which have the more common UPM of 2048. If they work that also points to a printer driver issue.

Side note: the default font in this forum is Inter so you are probably reading it now.

• 4 weeks later...

@karbhard I would like to confirm that the UPM is causing the issue with your HP printer.
And I assume you may want to have a positive confirmed answer for the future.

I made some test fonts for the GitHub thread which did confirm that UPM was the issue there.
In that case which, also involves HP printers, the Inter fonts were "swelling" when printing.

So I made test versions of the fonts with the "usual" UPMs and the original UPM, and changed the names.
This enables all the fonts to be installed at the same time without conflicts.

It would be great if you could please test these fonts and confirm the "normal" UPM fonts do work in your printer.
These are the three OTF fonts:
- InterOTF1000-Regular.otf
- InterOTF2048-Regular.otf
- InterOTF2816-Regular.otf

Inter fonts UPM is 2816.
Most common OTF UPM is 1000.
Most common TTF UPM is 2048.

On GitHub, the 1000 and 2048 OTF fonts worked as expected.

So please test each font separately and confirm if your printer works with the common UPMs - 1000 and 2048.

Here are the fonts: InterOTF1000+2048+2816-Regular.zip

These fonts all look and print the same for me (below is from APub test):

Inter-UPM-Tests-cropped-1360x440.png.3ef966d9740c45ce3ca1b852014d57f3.png

Thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to test these.

17 hours ago, karbhard said:

I can confirm all three of your attached fonts printed as normal.

Hmmmm ... That is not what I expected.
The InterOTF2816.otf font is the original from the GitHub repo - just renamed.
If the problem is that UPM I would expect that font to fail like your original no-print problem.
The fact all three fonts work basically negates my theory.
So it appears you have (had) a different issue.

Glad you got it working.
And again thanks for testing.