You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Noise "softens" after slider stops moving, FX "strength" reduces when slider stops moving - All 3 products

Windows 10.  Version 1.10.5 of all three products.  

Within the las couple of months, I have noticed that several adjustable parameters reduce when I stop moving.

In the attached video, notice the noise in the red stroke drops off significantly as does the 3D effect.

This happens with all three products but it does not happen on my laptop.  I have done a master reset on Photo but that has not helped.

I have a Xencelabs tablet that has always worked fine with Affinity.  I have been researching this for a couple of weeks and don't know where else to turn.

Thanks,

Dave Davis

1184327014_Screenshot2022-04-04at23_00_52.png.11cc7cde01cefcbb1e620b71db0c61bd.pngThis is by design. Affinity uses MIP Maps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap to achieve good performance, but this leads to temporary rendering with lower resolutions. As the noise is rendered in current available screen resolution, this gives a far exaggerated noise effect until Affinity finds time to render in full resolution, which happens only when you stop providing input (on slower systems).

You can try if adjusting Preferences > Performance > View Quality to „high (slowest)“ gives you better results.

I made a screen recording and exported all frames as individual jpg files to create a timeline when opening a file. You can see that Affinity runs through several resolutions steps over seconds before reaching full resolution. Same happens in case of any input like zooming, panning, painting etc.

This phenomenon lead to lots of misinterpretation, e.g. loosing resolution, sharpness, noise etc.

Below there are 2 rectangles, one 4x4 (left), one 8x8 (upper right), with 100% color noise. I then copied the 4x4, rasterised it to "freeze" the colors and noise, and resized to to 8x8 (lower right). It looks clearly less noisy, simply as it has 1/2 of the resolution. The same happens temporarily by MIP Maps.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.