You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects disappear when dragged (split)

I'm using Affinity Publisher for the first time, changing from InDesign. I'm used to having a lot of unused objects on the artboard and drag them onto the page when needed. In Publisher, I see that I can drag objects to the sides but when I drag them to the top or bottom, they disappear from view. They are still there but not visible. Is there a reason for this behaviour? Is there any way of turning this off? By the way, 'Clip to canvas' is not selected.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @TedThompson.

The Pasteboard in Publisher exists only to the left and right of the page (or spread), and each page/spread has its own Pasteboard.

You can make a larger vertical area between pages/spreads by increasing the top and bottom Bleed, but that has other issues (like needing to remember to reset the Bleed before printing or exporting).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, walt.farrell said:

The Pasteboard in Publisher exists only to the left and right of the page (or spread)

Just fallen foul of this one....

There is no visual clue on screen that pasteboard visibility does not exist much above or below the page. (In other apps, there's a discrete rule/line.)

This is admittedly only really a gotcha when:

• There's only one page in the file
  • It's a zoomed out view of either the first or last page in the file

Don't panic
It's easy to casually lose something as a result of moving it up or down while 'in the moment'. Your object has not 'gone'. Select > select all or speculatively drag selecting still selects the object, allowing you to recover it.

I'm not sure why it's not visible when the app clearly still has it plotted. I assume there's some programmatic mountain to climb to 'switch on' visibility in these areas. A simple line on the display would suffice as a visual reminder releasing brain space needed to remember this. My brain space is far from infinite.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.