You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open Publisher Document

Klemens

Hello - I am looking for help

Already several times I have problems with Publisher Version 1.10.4 on my iMac with BigSur.
When I try to open the file again in Affinity Publisher, I get the error message "The file appears to be corrupted". I can not open the file. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program Publisher this time. It remains the same - the file cannot be opened.
Now that I have spent a full day on this, I would like to send the file with a request to repair the damaged file again. The file is about 300 MByte. I have many linked images, but if they are not there, there are only error messages that the resources are not found-the document can be start.

Thank you very much.
Klemens

BG-Mondays-for-Future_2022-02-18.afpub

• Staff

Hi @Klemens,

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you. I have tried repairing this using the tools available to me,however thus far I've unfortunately been unable, therefore I'll be logging this with our developers to take a further look at the file to see if we can recover any of its contents. We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, please can you confirm the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using? (iMac with BigSur)
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in? (
1.10.4)
3. What drive type was the file last saved to (select more than one if needed)?
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

I'm certainly sorry to hear this @Klemens - I've tried repairing this file using the limited tools I have available, therefore I have logged it with our developers, however unfortunately we cannot offer any guarantees we'll be able to return a repaired file directly.

We suggest using a backup of this file in the meantime, so that you can continue your work.

18 hours ago, Klemens said:

Do the 'library entries' in the relevant folder on my Mac system help any? See attachment

It's possible we may be able to recover your file using the Autosave files, if any are available. Can you please provide a screenshot of the contents of this folder for me?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @piovasco,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please confirm for me:

Does this happen with multiple documents, or only one file?

Do you see an error message when trying to open the file, or does the app simply close?

I'd like to request a copy of your file to further investigate this, can you please upload the file to the below link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vPPYBJGJLUUQ9OlSYA0D

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

Yes, there were two files from Affinity in action, but I can no longer trace the second one:

Attempt at a reconstruction:
I had two files with the same project with different states. I wanted to insert a graphic that was linked in one Affinity document into the other, current Affinity project with the Copy command. After I had done this, a call came up that was something like this: I should close the document. After that I could no longer open it - I don't think both documents any more - and the error "the document would be faulty" appeared.

I hope that you can analyse or isolate the problem better this way.

Have a nice day!

Klemens

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'll be sure to update the development log with this information now to help our team :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @sophball,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble!

On 5/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, sophball said:

It is 4 different documents that I cannot open.  

This is certainly unexpected - how were these files being stored please? (ie on a local hard drive, a cloud service, a USB stick etc)

On 5/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, sophball said:

I send you the wrong file.

I can confirm I'm able to open and save the file provided without issue, can you please upload a file that is showing an error for you to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/OZMDa1fcTN4q0jAene0T

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi again, I send you the wrong file.  Unfortunately they are more than the max I am aloud.

Désolée, le premier fichier que je vous ai envoyé, c'est le fichier que j'ai dû refaire.

Je vous ai envoyé celui qui était supposément corrompu.

Merci de votre aide.

• Staff

Merci beaucoup pour votre fichier fourni, malheureusement, je n'ai pas pu récupérer votre document Affinity en utilisant les méthodes que nous utiliserions normalement pour récupérer ce type de documents. Nous ne pouvons que vous suggérer de revenir à une sauvegarde du document ou si votre document est synchronisé avec le stockage en nuage, il peut avoir une fonction d'historique des fichiers qui devrait vous permettre de télécharger une version précédente du fichier.

Nous avons également enregistré votre document Affinity ainsi que les informations supplémentaires que vous avez fournies à nos développeurs pour voir s'ils peuvent déterminer la cause initiale du problème et si le problème peut être évité dans une future mise à jour. Si nous recevons d'autres informations de nos développeurs concernant votre document ou comment éviter cela à l'avenir, nous vous recontacterons.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Merci, j'espère que votre équipe trouveras la source du problème.  En attendant, j'ai changé ma façon de travailler et je fais des copies régulièrement.

Hi again, I send you the wrong file.  Unfortunately they are more than the max I am aloud.

Désolée, le premier fichier que je vous ai envoyé, c'est le fichier que j'ai dû refaire.

Je vous ai envoyé celui qui était supposément corrompu.

Merci de votre aide.

Hi, I was working on my file (500 pages) and during saving the file Affinity Publisher crashed. (as so many time) Now I'm not be able to open the file anymore. File type unknown is the message?

What I also found out a while ago, when I have Checklist - Export active, the Publisher crashed when I want to export my file. 

Is there a change to recover my file? - my latest update is 1 month old and days of work would be gone.

thanks in advanced. 

Edi

Techlab book Early Bird Juni 22.afpub

• Staff

Hi @EdisTechlab,

We’re sorry to hear that your Affinity document is no longer opening for you & many thanks for providing a copy of this file.

We would obviously also like some additional information to see if we can work out the cause of the problem and stop it happening in future. To assist this process, please can you also tell us the following:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in?
3. What drive type was the file last saved to (select more than one if needed)?
Local disk
USB disk/Flash disk
Google Drive folder
OneDrive folder
iCloud folder
Dropbox folder
Network location
Other (please specify)

4. Any other information you think would help us try to find the problem?

We suggest that you check to see if you have any backups of the document available in case we’re unable to recover the file. The investigation process can take some time, but we’ll be back in contact with our findings.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi, please find bellow the requested answers. I do have a backup but its view weeks old.

1. Which Operating System are you using? macOS Monterey V12.3.1
2. Which version of Affinity did the file last get saved in? 1.10.5
3. What drive type was the file last saved to (select more than one if needed)? local SSD Disk (MacBook Air M1

thanks Edi

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this information Edi! I have attempted to repair the file using the methods available to me, however thus far I have been unable to, my apologies.

Therefore I am logging your file with our developers, to request an attempt at fixing the file and for further information to help us to reduce the possibility of this happening in the future.

I'll be sure to update this development log with the above information provided, and should we have any update regarding the file I will be sure to respond here.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hello Dan, 

many thanks for your effort on that. Meanwhile I started to re-write the file again from my back-up. Sadly is the Publisher crashing again and again and run very unstable with my file. I added a picture and when I want to resize it, crash (3 times). After opening the file and I want to scroll down some pages, crash. I feel very unsafe to work with it in the Moment and save every 15 Minutes a new Version as a separate file do not lose data anymore. 

I really look forward that you guys find out what is wrong with the File and I can have a stable work environment and confident in the Publisher again.

thanks Edi

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm sorry to hear the app is crashing so often for you.

Can you please open Publisher and navigate to Affinity Publisher > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this! Can you please try unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then changing the Renderer (Darstellung) from Metal to OpenGL. Restart the app as prompted and try editing your document once again - does this reduce the crashing behaviour for you please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Update 2: I was too early happy, just crashed the file and hours of work are gone again. I'm not be able to open the file anymore. Sorry Affinity you really make it very hard to not change back to Adobe. File looks damaged and has to be closed, that's the last thing I see. I really don't have mood anymore to re-write it over and over again. After 2 years writing my book I don't know what to do anymore, it cannot continue like this. (I release a monthly update on my book)

I added the new corrupted file again.

My frustration level is now close to 99%

image.png.549834e554ff294861ea8e38175f2e93.png

Update: with the change made, I did not have even one crash anymore. Many thanks Dan and the team behind you.

Thank you Dan,

I made the requested changes and will feedback you If I can see improvements.

many thanks 

Edi

Techlab book Early Bird Juli 22_01.afpub

• 1 month later...