You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashing almost immediately on Win 10 laptop

Affinity seemed fairly stable when I first installed it on this computer (Asus ROG Stryx), but has progressively gotten worse and worse, often freezing or just shutting down and disappearing and needing restart very soon after starting to process even simple images.  It initially got a bit more stable if I rebooted the computer, but even then, after processing  single image, when I closed the completed image and then tried to open a 2nd one to start working on, the program would crash again.  I've searched online and tried many of the 'remedies' I've seen, such as turning off hardware acceleration, opening in Windows 8 compatibility mode, closing all other programs, looking through the list of other programs with compatibility issues, resetting the Studio, making sure I had latest version of my OS, drivers, and Affinity Photo, etc.  Nothing has helped.  Now after opening an image (RAW or already processed), it will crash with doing virtually anything, such as trying to drag or resize a window, make any adjustment, etc.  I'm getting so frustrated with it that I'm considering going back to Photoshop :(  Anything else left to try?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

What kind of GPU do you have, and what driver level?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, dfantle said:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.  Driver version 26.21.14.4193

Thanks.

Your driver version isn't anything like the ones I see from a Google search, which show 445.87. I'm not sure what that might mean, but as you are on Nvidia, you are not having the problem I thought you might be having.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Lem3 said:

The Nvidia site shows the latest driver for the 1050 Ti as 511.65:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/186770/en-us

I've installed the new driver, and tried my image project in Affinity again, and it crashed as before, but after rebooting the machine, I could complete it for the first time in a dozen tries!  Hopefully this has taken care of it, but I'll post again if it continues to happen.  Lem3 and Walt, thanks a bunch!  I really appreciate the help.

-Dave