You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does the hotkey for isometric size change differ depending on selection?

So in Affinity Designer on Mac, when you want to isometrically change the size of a selection (keeping the ration between the axes the same) you have to press either shift or option while dragging the outer borders.

Why is it either one of those keys? Why does it not stay the same and what does this even depend on? It is not the type of selection. I literally have two different image objects in one file, and to isometrically change the size of one of them I have to press option and for the other shift. I don't understand the point of this, and it is to be frank quite annoying to always have to test which key to use, unable to know it...

30 minutes ago, snizl said:

press either alt or option while dragging the outer borders.

Why is it either one of those keys?

Option is the name for the key on Mac OS.

Alt is the name for the key on Windows OS.

Don't really understand your question.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Some objects have a native aspect ratio, for example, an image file that you Place into your document.

When you resize an object by dragging a corner node using the Move Tool, if the object has a native aspect ratio, then by default dragging the node will resize the object and maintain that ratio. If the object does not have a native aspect ratio, then dragging the corner node will not maintain the current ratio.

You can override that by pressing the Shift key, which will reverse the behavior.

You can also change the default processing, using Preferences, then in the Tools section:

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1