You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: How can I use own icons as bullet-points instead of glyphen

Hallo,

I want to create lists with own icons instead of bullet-points. How can I manage this? I don't find a possibility to import icons into lists oder paragraph-styles. There is only the possibility to use the glyphen-browser.

Thanks for help. Kind regards,

Rüdiger

I think you'll need to make them into a font, as suggested in some other topics like the one below. Then you can setup a Character Text Style for the bullets that uses that font.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell: Thanks for the tip and link to the other topic. I will try that out.

Apart from that, it seems to me that there could or should be a simpler or more direct way to import your own icons as bullet points. Maybe this is even a suggestion to the developers.

Kind regards.
Rüdiger

1 hour ago, RvS said:

there could or should be a simpler or more direct way to import your own icons as bullet points.

As a workaround, you can use the Pinning option. It cannot be set & placed with a text style, but it at least combines text flow with the pinned image used.

1558553925_pinningasbullet1.thumb.jpg.9232a5601015bf88c72492aa093777d2.jpg

If it should be be used on-top of / to cover an existing bullet you would set its left border to a negative value.

Note, currently there is still a bug in the pinning feature which requires to untick the Lock Children option manually, auto-set by pinning before.

189845427_pinningasbullet2.jpg.ba0db2a617af9970e8c4ba6de953b077.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@thomaso: Thanks for the tip. But in my case it will not work. The reason is that my task is a bit more complex than I described at the beginning. My task is the following:

I design a magazine with many articles. Each article is assigned to one of five categories. I want to make this assignment of an article to a certain category visible in the table of contents with icons. Here the icon should be placed in front of the headline.

To make this possible, I have defined five different paragraph styles for the formatting of the heading in the magazine. These are basically identical. The five identical heading styles allow me in the table of contents to tell which category the article belongs to. This way I can determine for example that the appropriate category keyword precedes the article title in each of these paragraph styles. But: I don't find writing out the category of the articles in the table of contents as nice as using icons. To prefix the titles in the table of contents with their own icons, I apparently have to create a custom font first. It's actually a pity that this is so complicated. I had imagined it to be easier.

Kind regards.
Rüdiger