You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Many options not available if some toolbar items selected.

EC4D246F-9592-443C-841D-5FEFF8A66752.thumb.png.4a65b8d5b9b03fd5558e1234519f5dd7.png

Started with pixel bkgrnd and two duplicate curves.

Clicking btm left icon  put up message and rasterized layer.

Changing options on right ex colour studio, forces the Pen tool context menu to work.

I’ve noticed this several times in different places but this on caught me off guard.

I had the filters option selected from previous operation but hadnt applied it to the layers I was working on.

Had used the pen tool intending to make a selection but there was no context sensitive menu item to click on make selection.

Clicking on the icon in btn left, to see all toolbars it said, a rasterized layer had not been selected, and so I couldnt create the selection. It had been rasterized and was a pixel layer.

When I changed to the Color studio, it forced the color context menu to display, after that going back to pen tool now the context menu displayed allowing me to click make selection from path.

83D5C9D0-AC09-486D-A930-5AB54791930F.thumb.png.6fd70c4208cf84ca3ac1a177b5fa8518.png

31EFF885-4215-4B81-84BE-537BF9D24A10.png

5 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Clicking btm left icon  put up message and rasterized layer.

Do you mean this one?

image.png

I'm not sure what that is, and I don't seem to have it in Photo.  Also, why don't you have the ? Icon on the lower right side?

5 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Had used the pen tool intending to make a selection but there was no context sensitive menu item to click on make selection.

That should be in the Context Toolbar when you have the Pen Tool selected. (You don't seem to have any tools selected; I'm not sure how that can happen, unless you're not giving us the complete screenshot.)

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you mean this one?

image.png

I'm not sure what that is, and I don't seem to have it in Photo.  Also, why don't you have the ? Icon on the lower right side?

That should be in the Context Toolbar when you have the Pen Tool selected. (You don't seem to have any tools selected; I'm not sure how that can happen, unless you're not giving us the complete screenshot.)

image.png

If you look closely at the pen tool icon in the pic, the blue line on the left side of the icon indicates it is the current tool. Its visible in the first, 3rd and last pics above but must zoom in very close to see a blue highlight on the left side of the pen tool icon.

Icon in bottom left used to show context menus, bottom right ? for help.

af.jpg

7 minutes ago, Affinity Rat said:

Dont know the icon you show, looks like Gaussian curve to me.

You said you had used the bottom left icon. The one I showed was the bottom left one on the first and second screenshots you showed. Your last screenshot is different (has a different icon there and also includes the Context Bar (missing from the first two screenshots). Note that in that 4th screenshot, which also shows the Pen Tool selected, you have the "To Selection" button available.

21 minutes ago, Affinity Rat said:

If you look closely at the pen tool icon in the pic, the blue line on the left side of the icon indicates it is the current tool. Its visible in the first, 3rd and last pics above but must zoom in very close to see a blue highlight on the left side of the pen tool icon.

I missed it in the first screenshot. A different tool is selected in the 3rd screenshot.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry about the confusion, I tried to recreate screens as they were, but may have neglected being on the correct tool.

The last image had nothing to do with the prob, only to indicate where the icon was selected. In the last image I hadnt selected the filter studio, so was working properly.