You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TGA files saved upside down

AcidArrow

Exporting a small (16x16) tga file, results in the file getting saved upside down. You can even see in the export preview that it's upside down.

image.png.7ac8da6d895f5e1ba5b4d09ac1a0cf25.png

This is super bizarre to me, and suddenly I feel uneasy about having edited so many files with affinity recently, although it definitely doesn't always happen, since I would have noticed.

Not sure what is special about this file.

To repro, open the test.tga file, then just export as tga and hit preview.

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.10.4.1198 on Windows 10.

test.tga

I am suspecting that the 16 x 16 pixel brown area was made with a brush that had a soft edge and we are seeing that with the export of the tag file. This is always a problem when working with extremely tiny areas, you think you have covered everything but there was a feathered selection or the aforementioned soft brush used. Then on export this gets magnified and on opening an exported file format it is magnified again.

Here is what I see with opening the TGA file in Apple's Preview application. There is something off even before opening with Affinity and exporting.

421618742_ScreenShot2021-12-29at12_37_29PM.png.5dd928dff095a69310db234dfb722a65.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That's not how the file was created.

The tga I upload was loaded and saved a bunch of times by Affinity photo, the weirdness you see may be a result of Affinity saving it upside down each time.

Exporting as any format other than tga exports the data correctly (the same as what I'm viewing in Affinity photo). Tga always flips it.

Copy and pasting into a new document and then exporting to tga, again flips the results.

So, actually, the issue is different affinity keeps flipping the colors of the corners? It's weird.

Here's an older version of the file, on the left it's open on xnview on the right it's open in affinity, you can see affinity added that discoloration in the corner where there was none.

You can download the file below.

image.png.5223b860e1468f4a947015fb72daa4b5.png

OrangeTransLM.tga

Edited by AcidArrow

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "TGA Export and Import is inverting a single pixel value." (REF: AF-478) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2222".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.