You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.4 win7 crashes and I need to work!

Hello! :)

I had the 1.8.4 versions working just fine. Photo, Designer, Publisher. Usually the Affinity apps asks to do an update at launch and this time I decided it was about time. Win7 64bit. I updated (1.10.4) and now they will not open! I restarted a few times. And I can not download older versions anymore because they can only be accessed through the apps download button, as far as I can see. Been looking everywhere for those slightly older versions.

What to do?

For now it would be best just to get the 1.8.4 versions I had back..

Gigabyte p34G, Win7 64bit, 16gb ram, 2x ssds, 4th gen quad i7, NVIDIA GTX 760M GDDR5 2GB

Why win7 only on this machine:  I cant update to win 10 or 11 because I need to access music projects running back over 10 years in other creative apps. I left to another country with this laptop only, for a 2 weeks xmas holiday with family, and I was going to work a lot in between the family dinners. I do have a newer win 10/11 laptop back home, but I brought this one because I was also going to work on some of these old music projects from other apps. They will not run on win10 because Ableton Live 7 32bit program uses old 32bit plugins only and Ableton does not support 32bit plugs anymore, since win8.  I have an upcoming music release, but also need to work in Affinity asap for a game im developing.

@Kimotei

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Does your Win 7 machine meet the minimum requirements listed on, e.g., this Designer page?  

However, since you mention you need to continue to run 32 bit plugins in your music projects, are you aware of jBridge?  It is a very useful app to allow 32 bit VSTs etc., to run in a 64 bit environment, and vice versa.  I use it with both Reaper and Adobe Audition, both 64 bit, and can still access and use older 32 bit VSTs and VSTis.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hey Jeff!

After some googling I found the download links to the older versions! I tried a few, and found out 1.9.0 is the latest version I can use. So it works fine now! :)

Regarding using latest version, it is supposed to work on win 7, but I see now aero must be enabled, so I might try that:
1.10.4 requirements, Affinity Store version: Windows® 7 (Service Pack 1; Platform Update KB2670838; Aero enabled)

Jbridge: yes I know, but thank you for reminding me! Guess I will try it..

2 hours ago, Kimotei said:

What to do?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hey Walt!

Thanks for the link. However I decided not to install those for two reasons: Firefox did not trust them, so I asked my highly skilled programmer friend, and he told me he was skeptical because the ring effect it can create with other apps.

You're welcome. If you're not willing to install them, then you're probably limited to the older versions of the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried Aero with the latest Affinity versions and it did not help, also after restart. But its fine, its an old pc anyhow. I just needed to get the job done and it all works now with the older versions! :) They are not even that old, 1.9.0 works and is from earlier this year (2021).

Probably I will get a new laptop sometime during next year.