You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn Savable View Points in the Navigator Studio into Clickable Buttons

In the Navigator studio, you can add savable view points that you want to revisit for later. So you just pick an area that you're zoomed in and then hit "advanced" and then hit "add" to add that view point that you want to save for later. Then you add more view points if you want to. So as you add more view points what happens is you get this "list" of view points in your combo box. My issue is that its a list. I dont like that its a list of view points. I dont like that its a list because it requires me to click on this list of view points, scroll down until I see a view point I want, and then click that view point of choice. Thats a lot of work, steps, and time just for wanting get to a specific view point.

I think what needs to happen is this "list" needs to turn into buttons. Clickable buttons that I can click on and just have it take me to my saved view points. With these buttons, all its going to take is just one simple click. Thats it. Just one click. Its not going to require me to click a list, find the view point I'm looking for, and click that view point of choice. Its just going to be 1 simple click. Its 3 steps just to do all that VS 1 simple click of clicking a button. So I need this list of savable view points to turn into buttons. Buttons that can be pressed on to get to my specific view points. 

Make it a button that says whatever I named it when I added. You could even add a small thumbnail next to the name of what the view point looked like when I saved it. I dont know. Figure it out. Design it well. Just please dont make it a list. No one wants to scroll through lists of view points. We just want to click and go.  

I've attached 2 photos below. The first photo shows a list of view points i saved. The next photo show me making a button for those view points that I can just click on to make my workflow fast and simple. 

Thank you. 

View Point List.png

View Point Buttons.jpg

Think for a bit.... What happens to the Navigator panel when it is docked and there are two or three dozen viewpoints.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Why don't you think a bit and then tell me what will happen to the Navigator panel in your changed system.

Hint, does it get larger or stay the same size? Maybe too large...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

19 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

@Old BruceIDK. Just tell me. I just got this app. 

Your idea will result in a Navigator panel that is too tall for some windows, we will not be able to get to the bottom of the list. 

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Your idea will result in a Navigator panel that is too tall for some windows, we will not be able to get to the bottom of the list. 

I dont know anybody whos going to have 10, 20, 30 saved view points. I dont know how to design it. The photo was just an example. An idea. Let Serif design it but everything should take 1 click. Not 3 steps. 1 step is good design. Anything more than 2 is bad design. So no to "lists" of view points and yes to buttons of view points or keyboard shortcuts for those saved view points. Have them figure it out. And if its "too tall" then lets do the same for layers since layers get "too tall." Then add a scroll to the navigator to go down. 

1 minute ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Anything more than 2 is bad design.

Some things do require more than a couple of steps.

Something can be designed to be a one step processes, and it can be a bad design.

As an example of bad design consider the really bad design choices that Affinity have made for adding a new view to the Navigator panel.

Once you have your view setup you click on the Cog wheel choose the New view. A new view is made.

Now here is the really bad design choice. No one is going to want to have to navigate the mouse up to the cog again and click and navigate to the Rename... button. Yet we have to. A better choice is to have the new view made and the rename dialog is there as a part of the making of a new view. It could be set up to be dismissed as a preference choice for those who do not mind having a list of a couple of dozen view named View Point 1, View Point 2, View Point 3,... View Point 24. Many people will want to name the views so they can find what they need later "Top Right 4x", "Lower L 12x 01", "Mid L 12x 02".

In the case of adding Swatches Palettes the same really bad design choice was made and in Photo with Channels they even managed to make a really bad design worse by not having numbers added.

You will see this same really bad design by Affinity repeated many times.

27 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Then add a scroll to the navigator to go down. 

And we are back to where we started. 

59496362_ScreenShot2021-11-29at8_29_12AM.png.3b43dd26d19b8290e5bbbd5cbf7ec20a.png

34 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

In the case of adding Swatches Palettes the same really bad design choice was made and in Photo with Channels they even managed to make a really bad design worse by not having numbers added.

You will see this same really bad design by Affinity repeated many times.

+1

Snapshots palette as one more example of terrible design choices. It's amazing how brilliant ideas counterbalanced with these.