You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour halftone filter not working

velosolex

Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Updated Photos app from 1.8.1 to 1.10.4

First photo shows the file open in 1.8.1 and the second in 1.10.4.

Firstly, I love the app—it's amazing and I don't remember ever having any issues before now.

I'll do my best to explain what's happening (please see the attachments):

The image is separated into individual CMYK channels, each with a live colour halftone filter (round). The colour halftone separations are practically transparent in the latest version (most of what we can see in the second screenshot is the black channel, which seems to be fine) and there are cyan and magenta dots appearing in the yellow channel (and yellow and magenta dots in the cyan channel, etc.). I have tried recreating the image from scratch as a new document and the same thing is happening. I have also tried creating the halftones via the Filters menu (non-live) and again no luck.

The frustrating thing is that I've managed to download an old version of Photo (from https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/macos/photo/1/ )but because I purchased the app from the App Store I can't register it and so once my free trial runs out I'm going to be in a pickle (unless there's a way to convert an App Store licence into a standard licence?).

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.08.23.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.12.22.png

Just a quick update: so I bought a new non-App Store licence so I could keep working using older versions of Photo. I wanted to find the most recent version of Photo that still worked (for CMYK halftone separations, see above). So through a lot of installing and uninstalling I can confirm that 1.8.6 was the last version of Photo where the halftone filter works as expected (at least for me). I have attached the actual afphoto file so you can take a look what is happening in more detail.

1737934390_vintagead.afphoto

4 hours ago, velosolex said:

The colour halftone separations are practically transparent in the latest version (most of what we can see in the second screenshot is the black channel, which seems to be fine) and there are cyan and magenta dots appearing in the yellow channel (and yellow and magenta dots in the cyan channel, etc.).

Not that I can see.

If I choose the Cyan layer with its halftone filter and turn everything else off and do a merge Visible I get information in the Cyan channel and nowhere else.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Not that I can see.

If I choose the Cyan layer with its halftone filter and turn everything else off and do a merge Visible I get information in the Cyan channel and nowhere else.

Hi, thanks for your response. So when you open the file are you seeing colours or is it a muddy sort of greyscale? What OS are you running? I tried merging the visible layers, same thing. The first screenshot shows no halftone on the cyan layer, the second with the halftone filter, the third screenshot shows the halftone filter with a larger cell size to show that other colours are present and the final screenshot shows what merge visible looks like. These screenshots are all from Photo 1.10.4 on my MacBook running High Sierra. (I'm runnng 1.8.6 on my iMac with High Sierra, where everything now works as expected).

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 09.37.13.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 09.37.42.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 09.38.36.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 09.40.16.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...