You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need a Font for another language - Do I need to install the language

Two issues: Affinity is showing an error that there is a missing font. I have one page with a couple Greek words in Greek. It is asking for Georgia CE. I can't find it. Do I need to somehow add the Greek language? It may be easier for me just to not have them in there.

It is also showing that some of the pages have a missing dictionary for language en-PH. I have one of my workers in the Philippines creating some text for me. However, it is not an error on all the pages that she was involved with and all the text is in English. I even deleted and rewrote the text and the error for those pages didn't go away. Do I have to load  the dictionary and if so how do I do it?

For GeorgiaCE see:

For Dictionaries:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

That is a really old version of the Georgia font (v2.05).
The current version of Georgia (v5.59) includes Greek is included with Windows.
So just substitute the current version.

Thank you very much. I checked on my PC and that version is installed. Where do I substitute it in affinity?

6 hours ago, jwardzala said:

Where do I substitute it in affinity?

If you have that font already installed on your system (OS), Affinity should show it among it's usable font selection list. So use it for the texts where you need it, select that font from the font panel for text paragraphs or selected text portions etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If you have that font already installed on your system (OS), Affinity should show it among it's usable font selection list. So use it for the texts where you need it, select that font from the font panel for text paragraphs or selected text portions etc.

Thank you, but it is showing missing in Affinity. I have it on my PC

And if you switch temporary the language setting in Affinity from English to Philippines, does the font appear then among the fonts in the font list? - Do other Win apps show up that font in their font lists?

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

And if you switch temporary the language setting in Affinity from English to Philippines, does the font appear then among the fonts in the font list? - Do other Win apps show up that font in their font lists?

I can't find the dictionary for en_PH anywhere online.

The dictionary is just used for language based spelling and hyphenation, it usually doesn't effect your selected font choice. A font must contain the characters you want to insert (type in) from that font style.

For the "en_ph" are you sure for that? I can find an "dictionary-es-ph" Spanish (or Castilian; Philippines) here:

Affinity uses "Hunspell" dictionary formats.

They speak a lot of languages in the Philippines. They were taken over by so many different countries. My worker speaks Tagalog and English. I will try the one you chose. Thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate. Now I have to figure out how to download it to my pc. 

For the locale en_PH, probably some Linux system users may be able to provide you with an en-PH dictionary. - I saw the following OpenSuse "myspell-en_PH-20191219-3.21.1.noarch.rpm"  package which contains that dictionary.

Download

Type URL
Mirror ftp.lysator.liu.se
Binary Package https://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/opensuse/ports/aarch64/distribution/leap/15.3/repo/oss/noarch/myspell-en_PH-20191219-3.21.1.noarch.rpm
Source Package https://ftp.lysator.liu.se/pub/opensuse/source/distribution/leap/15.3/repo/oss/src/myspell-dictionaries-20191219-3.21.1.src.rpm

Install Howto

Install myspell-en_PH rpm package:

# zypper install myspell-en_PH

Files

Path
/usr/share/hunspell/en_PH.aff
/usr/share/hunspell/en_PH.dic
/usr/share/hyphen/hyph_en_PH.dic
/usr/share/myspell/en_PH.aff
/usr/share/myspell/en_PH.dic
/usr/share/myspell/hyph_en_PH.dic
/usr/share/myspell/th_en_PH_v2.dat
/usr/share/myspell/th_en_PH_v2.idx
/usr/share/mythes/th_en_PH_v2.dat
/usr/share/mythes/th_en_PH_v2.idx

Ok in the meantime I extracted those Linux/OpenSuse based RPN packages on MacOS and took a look on those hunspell dict packages. Well as you can see ...

total 16                                                                                                                                                   
drwxr-xr-x  4 vkyr  staff  136 Nov 16 12:05 .                                                                                                              
drwxr-xr-x  6 vkyr  staff  204 Nov 16 12:05 ..                                                                                                             
lrwxr-xr-x  1 vkyr  staff    9 Jun 30 10:20 en_PH.aff -> en_US.aff                                                                                         
lrwxr-xr-x  1 vkyr  staff    9 Jun 30 10:20 en_PH.dic -> en_US.dic

... the hunspell en_PH.dic is just a LINK to the en_US.dic!

So if you make a copy of your en_US.dic file and rename the copy then to en_PH.dic it's pretty much the same. You can try then to install that under the place where the Affinity dict files reside!

On 11/16/2021 at 5:24 AM, v_kyr said:

Ok in the meantime I extracted those Linux/OpenSuse based RPN packages on MacOS and took a look on those hunspell dict packages. Well as you can see ...

... the hunspell en_PH.dic is just a LINK to the en_US.dic!

So if you make a copy of your en_US.dic file and rename the copy then to en_PH.dic it's pretty much the same. You can try then to install that under the place where the Affinity dict files reside!

Thank you so much for your help!

1 hour ago, jwardzala said:

It downloads as an .exe file. I haven't opened it. I don't find anything else online for GeorgiaCE, Cyr, Baltic, Greek, Tur fonts. Is .exe ok?

I believe that is pretty old stuff and not needed anymore nowadays, so don't use that exe-file at all!

Instead use the Georgia Fonts you already have and which came together with your Windows version. - See also:

Further read the following which was told there ...

Windows Central and East European Fonts and Keyboard Drivers

Special Note for Windows users:

If you use any version of Windows 95 and up, you do NOT need to obtain fonts or keyboard drivers for most CE Languages. Microsoft includes CE support in the system software.

So you see that stuff is pretty old (Win95 times) and thus outdated and obsolete now! - You don't need that at all, you already have everything on your modern, actual Windows system related to the Georgia fonts etc.!

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

I believe that is pretty old stuff and not needed anymore nowadays, so don't use that exe-file at all!

Instead use the Georgia Fonts you already have and which came together with your Windows version. - See also:

Further read the following which was told there ...

So you see that stuff is pretty old (Win95 times) and thus outdated and obsolete now! - You don't need that at all, you already have everything on your modern, actual Windows system related to the Georgia fonts etc.!

I don't know why I am getting the error in Affinity when I already have it on the PC. I have Windows 10 and its in there. I thought if I could reinstall it Affinity might recognize it. 

image.png

11 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

I don't know why I am getting the error in Affinity when I already have it on the PC.

Have you shown us the font that you have installed? Affinity knows you have Georgia, but the file you're using wants Georgia CE.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You do not have to run those old core fonts EXE files - they are self-extracting archives - so you can open them with 7-Zip with a right-click, and then drag just the font files out.

The Georgia Pro family is available in the Windows Pan-European Supplemental Fonts package. Free to download and use. And you do not have to deal with the MS store.

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you shown us the font that you have installed? Affinity knows you have Georgia, but the file you're using wants Georgia CE.

Jip in that document he just has to generally change/substitute all words/text which are setup to use the old Georgia CE font, then instead with Georgia and (re)save that doc, in order to get rid of those messages. - Though Affinity already mades this and indicated that it substituted GeorgiaCE with Georgia.

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Jip in that document he just has to generally change/substitute all words/text which are setup to use the old Georgia CE font, then instead with Georgia and (re)save that doc, in order to get rid of those messages. - Though Affinity already mades this and indicated that it substituted GeorgiaCE with Georgia.

I haven't installed any fonts. There are some Greek symbols and words in a couple of the pages. The font in on the PC. Affinity is just not picking it up. 

3 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

There are some Greek symbols and words in a couple of the pages.

Where's the document from, did you created it yourself, or does it stem from other peoples sources?