You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes on selecting multiple pattern layers on MAC and using merge selected

Sometimes the merge seems to work fine but just did a video tutorial and halfway through the selected pattern layers and then a merge selected got the spinning wheel of doom. I have had this a number of times with pattern layers but sometimes it does work (not sure if there is a reason why it works sometimes or not) ... I end up just using merge visible instead. M1 Monterey Affinity Photo Beta 

crash.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Andrew Buckle,
Do you have a file where this can be consistently reproduced or it's a bit random here too? (that is the same file sometimes works and sometimes fails). If easily replicated with a specific file do you mind attaching it here please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private - just let me know.
I'm assuming you are running the latest Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.10.5.270 on Monterey. Can you confirm this please? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

No, this happens just at random. I create lots of video tutorials and sometimes I am doing it and then it crashes with the patterns layers and merge. Other times it is fine and works. Just makes me always hesitant to use the merge selected as it has crashed recently and also over the last few years a lot and on different machines. They are not complex layers, perhaps a shape that has been rasterised and turned into a pattern layer as well as the same pattern layer duplicated and then changed such as scale or rotate and then it crashes with the merge

Yes, Monterey and M1 and latest Affinity Photo Beta but this has been an issue for me for a while. I normally just shrug my shoulders and restart or avoid using the menu command because at the back of my mind I know it will probably crash. 

You can see the sort of imagery added to the bug, it is just a pixel image turned into a pattern layer with the mirror option set to ON and in the example they are just duplicates of the same layer (also they duplicate linked ... noticed that has occasional issues with crashes in other places)

Andrew

• Staff

Hi @Andrew Buckle,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. Have you noticed if the crashes happen with just linked pattern layers or does it also crash when merging regular non-linked pattern layers? I will poke around to see if i can replicate this here. Do you happen to have a file (an old backup or something) that have crashed for you before? Also, if that happens again can you attach the crash report please? Thank you.