You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Full screen toggle (fn-F) in Affinity Photo (Mac) is slow

abarkalo

Before I say anything in Serif Affinity is slow, I need to say that on my MacBook Pro M1, anything Affinity is lighting fast, especially 1.10.4, certainly lightning faster that anything Adobe.

However the full screen toggle (fn-F) is really uncomfortably slow, and sorry for the comparison but in this one single area Photoshop is lightning fast, meaning quite usable in the sense that it doesn't cause lag distraction.

I have written an AppleScript to toggle the window bounds to {1680, 1050} but the window will only resize to {1670, 1040} or something like that. This script is very fast, much faster than the toggle but a little bit of the desktop and the windows behind it peek through - not anything show stopping but not a super clean full screen UI.

• Staff

Hi @abarkalo,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me, what version of macOS are you running currently? We've had a few reports of full-screening the app causing delays, but I've yet been unable to replicate this issue here.

If possible, could you also provide a screen recording of this issue for me?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone and nice to meet you!

I've been looking somewhere on this board to find someone encountering the same issue as men, and looks like I succeeded. So basically, the same thing is happening to me with Affinity Photo on my MacBook. The other softs (Designer and Publisher) are toggling smoothly with no delay at all.

I'm running the latest version of macOS Monterey (version 12.1) on a MacBook Pro 14" with the M1 Pro chip (10-Core CPU, 16-Core GPU and 16GB of RAM). I'm using the upper-scaled resolution option to "More space" but I tried to get back to the default scale system and the issue is still going. Here's a screen record so you can see it in action:

Thanks in advance for the help. 😃

Edited by Blaqueground
Typo

• Staff

Hi @Blaqueground,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm there are known issues with Affinity and the latest version of macOS Monterey, as outlined in the below FAQ - 

Our developers have added a tentative fix for this in the latest beta version, which can be downloaded and installed alongside your retail version from the below link -

Can you please try this for me and let me know if you experience a similar, or lesser amount of delay? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, abarkalo said:

actually this has been less of an issue - but actually prefer the quasi full-screen view because I can see the menu bar all the time

@abarkalo, I also prefer seeing menu all the time. Did you try:

1) turning off this (lower) option in 'System preferences/Dock & Menu bar'?,

image.png.9aa90c12f1c5973af7a56f39da1e9aec.png

2) doubleclicking titlebar, or

3) Alt+hold click on that green circle window control?

image.png.86253d345be723a8816807a2e0087d97.png

Please excuse me if I am missing the point with these.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)