You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font loading bug in Windows

I´m having trouble with fonts in Designer. Mostly of the fonts don´t appear in the Character Menu, and worse, it causes a crash in Explorer: all the texts in file´s icons disappear.

I did try to solve it by cleaning fonts from the Fonts folder of the system: sometimes it works, but randomly it bugs again. 

1 hour ago, DWright said:

Hi @Marcos M.,

Welcome to the forum

Can you please confirm the following

The version of Affinity Designer that you are using

The build of Windows that you are running

Is it always the same fonts that are missing and if so can you let me know the names of the fonts

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I´m using the latest Windows 10 and Affinity Designer was the last version. I did install v1.10.3.1191 yesterday. But since yesterday it´s working fine. If it bugs again I will print and attach it. 

About the fonts it´s hard to say, bacause I did uninstall more than 100, which are fonts I did use ocasionally in my work - many I just install to open files. Now I have circa 210 fonts running. I´m sending prints of it.

Edited by Marcos M.
I did a new image witn all fonts in one print

8 minutes ago, Marcos M. said:

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I´m using the latest Windows 10 and Affinity Designer was the last version. I did install v1.10.3.1191 yesterday. But since yesterday it´s working fine. If it bugs again I will print and attach it. 

About the fonts it´s hard to say, bacause I did uninstall more than 100, which are fonts I did use ocasionally in my work - many I just install to open files. Now I have circa 210 fonts running. I´m sending prints of it.

fonts 4.jpg

23 hours ago, Marcos M. said:

it causes a crash in Explorer: all the texts in file´s icons disappear.

If you're referring to missing text in File Explorer dialogs, that seems to be a Windows problem that happens sometimes, and which has been reported in non-Affinity contexts, too.

I don't remember the fix, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're referring to missing text in File Explorer dialogs, that seems to be a Windows problem that happens sometimes, and which has been reported in non-Affinity contexts, too.

I don't remember the fix, though.

Yes. All the dialogs disappear in Windows (file names under icons and folder and the file´s directory too). But first, is the fonts in Designer that crash: fonts in the Character Menu almost all goes away - few like Arial still visible, but when applied to a text in the document, it fail some letters; and if I try to aply one of those "ghost fonts" (that olny shows the names, not the preview) of the Character Menu, even the text in the text box goes white and the typed characters vanishes.

@Marcos M.
It sounds like you have font cache corruption issues.
This can be caused by installing bad fonts, installing duplicate fonts, etc.

First, un-install the broken Gilroy fonts.
That pointing hand icon in the font name means the person who ripped those fonts did not know what they are doing, and they did not bother to fix the broken names.
This kind of fonts typically have many duplicates in the font name fields which can cause font cache corruption. Also it may cause the wrong font style to get embedded in PDFs.
These fonts will never work properly in any application on any OS.

Next, only install fonts in the system fonts folder (not your user fonts folder).
When you use the Windows Font Viewer and click on the Install button, it installs the font in your user fonts folder.
Always install fonts by selecting the files, right-click, and select Install for All Users - that will install them in the system fonts folder.

Next, make sure you do not have any duplicate font files present in the system fonts folder.
Look for any font file names which have a number suffix on them (e.g. font_01.ttf).
If you find any, un-install the fonts, delete the leftover font files, then re-install.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

@Marcos M.
It sounds like you have font cache corruption issues.
This can be caused by installing bad fonts, installing duplicate fonts, etc.

First, un-install the broken Gilroy fonts.
That pointing hand icon in the font name means the person who ripped those fonts did not know what they are doing, and they did not bother to fix the broken names.
This kind of fonts typically have many duplicates in the font name fields which can cause font cache corruption. Also it may cause the wrong font style to get embedded in PDFs.
These fonts will never work properly in any application on any OS.

Next, only install fonts in the system fonts folder (not your user fonts folder).
When you use the Windows Font Viewer and click on the Install button, it installs the font in your user fonts folder.
Always install fonts by selecting the files, right-click, and select Install for All Users - that will install them in the system fonts folder.

Next, make sure you do not have any duplicate font files present in the system fonts folder.
Look for any font file names which have a number suffix on them (e.g. font_01.ttf).
If you find any, un-install the fonts, delete the leftover font files, then re-install.

Thank you so much for your tips. 

You might also try a web search for windows file explorer missing text which may show some hits like these which seem reasonable (but which I have not tried):

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1