You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

depends on your definition of „remove“:

• masked out, revealing background / black?
  • Something different?

As you created this file yourself, I would recommend to start earlier in the workflow and avoid getting the unwanted effect in first place:

• use blend modes
  • use a circular shape as vector mask for „turned up“ layer to exclude unwanted parts in final result 

If you could provide the file in a state before you merge the layers, we can check for the best way.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I am attaching both the surface and prominence data (tif files) of the sun.  The surface has already been enhanced in PhotoShop to bring out the surface details.  The prominence data has not been altered and I stacked the best 500 frames of the video.

I did try and use Photshop to combine the images but as you saw, I have a ring around the sun that I would like to try and eliminate.

If you get something to work, could you please document what you did in Affinity Photo?  I am more of a Photoshop user but I am trying to learn Affinity Photo.

TheSunProm.tif TheSunSPS.tif

15 minutes ago, sandconp said:

If you get something to work, could you please document what you did in Affinity Photo?  I am more of a Photoshop user but I am trying to learn Affinity Photo.

Hi, nice images!

Unfortunately, the tiff files are show B/W in Photo despite RGB/16 format. You may have saved them using some proprietary PS content, which cannot be read by Affinity.

But this doesn't hold us back.

My recipe:

• Get rid of the dark (almost black) surrounding of the SPS layer.
    • Open in Photo
    • Use "magic ward / flood selection tool" to select background area.
    • Click refine to smooth/feather edge. Save as selection.
    • hit "delete" to delete background.
    • Now Edit>Place the Prom file.
    • Move below SPS layer
    • select SPS layer, use move tool to increase size slightly so it fills the area without unwanted ring.
  • I couldn't get the color match perfectly based on the b/W issue. But i hope you are able to et a good result.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I

• Open in Photo

I assuming you are talking Photoshop Here?

• Use "magic ward / flood selection tool" to select background area.

I found the Magic Wand Tool but I don't see flood selection tool when I right click on magic wand?

• Click refine to smooth/feather edge. Save as selection.

I can't find the refine to feather the edge and where do I Save as selection ?

1 minute ago, sandconp said:

I

• Open in Photo

I assuming you are talking Photoshop Here?

Hmm, we are in the Affinity Photo forum here. Cannot say anything about Adobe Photoshop. Everything you need for this job can be done purely in Affinity Photo.

If you need specific advise regarding Photoshop, this website might not be the best place. But we are happy to help doing the same job in Photo - which is absolutely possible.

The tutorial explains the basics to handle layers. at 1:25 James explains how to move layers within the layer stack.