You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eraser tool behaving strangely in Affinity Photo

Hi,

I have been creating an image (just as an experiment, really), to recreate in Affinity Photo the effect of movement and colour of a figure in motion that I have seen on Pinterest, so I grabbed an image of a figure in motion so that I could see if I could recreate it - its not for commercial use, just to see if I could do it, really - and have been quite successful in recreating it.

However, when I wanted to erase some of the colour/motion layer, I find that an image on a tool I have used previously has been somehow applied to the Eraser tool - and it keeps changing. Its like it has acqured an image that I have been using previously in the Eraser tool settings and I can't get rid of it or solve it. Resetting the tool doesn't seem to work

I have included a screengrab of the effect and highlighted in red the problem with the Eraser tool...

I wonder if anyone can help with this because currently I am unable to use the Eraser tool because of it. I am using Affinity Photo version 1.10.1.1142/

Thanks.

Screengrab of Eraser Tool on image.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @DelN. :)

The eraser in Affinity Photo isn’t just an Eraser Tool, it’s an Eraser Brush Tool, so it uses whatever brush is currently assigned to it. Go to the Brushes panel and choose a brush from the ‘Basic’ category for a more easily predictable result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Wow! Thank you so much, Alfred. I thought it was probably me not understanding the tool correctly. I really appreciate your swift reply.

I am originally a Corel Painter and Photoshop user, but I am blown away by Affinity Photo. I am still getting to grips with Affinity Photo and Designer...

Thanks again...

Del