You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Issues

Thanks for the screenshot. I'm not sure what's happening, but it may help someone else identify the problem. As for making videos, I'm pretty crap at it, myself. There is a FAQ showing one method on Windows:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's excellent Walt thank you..  It looks like i had to do a Windows + G to bring up an XBox Game Bar (I didn't even know I had one!! LOL) anyway, it looks like there was some photo/video buttons on there,  I tested it and it seemed to work ok, so I hope to be able to do this for any future issues. Best wishes Toni

Hi @TonyB,

I think I see what you're doing 'wrong', based on the screenshot that you provided.

When you try to make your second and third selections, you still have the copied layer of your first selection active (cf. the layer panel in your screenshot).

This first selection layer only covers a small part of the canvas (on the right hand side). When you try to make a new (second and third) selection (on the left hand side), such selection is normally applied to the currently active layer (i.e. 'Copied selection that shrunk'), but this layer's area doesn't 'exist' at the location where you try to make your new selections (LHS). Therefore, prior to making any extra selections, you should first (re-)select your background layer in the layer panel.

I hope this will work. It would be nice if you could report back whether it actually does. If not, a video with your precise actions may help in identifying what's going on.

Kind regards.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

5 hours ago, ToniB said:

When I moved it, the selection itself shrunk.  

What do you mean exactly with this 'shrinking selection'? I think that you misunderstood this element of the tutorial. Basically, what happens (according to my interpretation of the tutorial):

• You select a part of the background layer (i.e. without grass), and refine it.
  • Then you move this part of the background layer to the top of the layer stack. This selection will overlap with (and thus hide) a part of the grass layer. So, the visible grass area seems to 'shrink' (because it's partially 'hidden' behind the top layer with a selection of the original background layer). But the selection itself doesn't 'shrink'.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)