You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Struggling with creating brushes.

I decided to try and recreate some of my favourite brushes for Affinity Designer and I am really struggling with this.

The pressure I set in the brush creation tool doesn't seem to work when I use it as an actual brush for the brush I made from a solid brush. When I try to create an image brush it doesn't change colour.

But the brushes I purchased or downloaded are image and solid brushes but they do everything the way they are supposed to. What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot attached.

In the image the left is a solid brush with varying pressure sensitivity that is set in the brush settings. But it doesn't show when I paint. I have to manually create the pressure I had set on the brush each time. This is tedious and the reason that I made a specific brush for this. but it doesn't work. I Tried making the same kind of brush with a shape using an image brush but that refuses to change colour. You can see the selected brush is meant to be yellow but it refuses to be anything but white. But the brush stroke outside the shape changes colour as it should. I've checked the settings and I don't see anything about this. How can I fix this?

In screenshot 2 I'm having the same issue. But this time on the desktop app. Again it won't change colour and the pressure won't work except when I'm testing the brush.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong because the brushes I download seem to work. Could someone help please.

Thank you.

45E32F58-6216-412F-8209-5066C63C108D.png

Screenshot (6).png

2 hours ago, Vaz said:

When I try to create an image brush it doesn't change colour.

Image brushes don't change color; the color is determined by the image you use. Perhaps you want an Intensity brush.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

After starting the program or opening a new document, for some reason, the "Controller" mode is set to "None", regardless of the brush settings.