You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Downsizing makes the work pixelated in AD

Hi.

I'm not used to vector work, so I have to ask. I searched the forum and found some threads about the issue, but nothing that was understandable to me.

I made this picture which I want to use for my profile picture.

The picture is about 1000x1000 pixles and the profile picture have to be no larger than 200 px.

When I export as a 200 px. jpg, it gets blurry and pixelated. How can I do this? (In simple words please).

You can perhaps see what I mean when you look at my profile picture?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

The thing with vectors is that they are converted to raster graphics when you export them, and a pixel is a pixel. So, by downsizing an image the software has to decide what to do with items that are going to be less than a pixel wide – practically there are no “half” pixels (or other subdivisions) to which something could be rounded down. So, if the program encounters something that is going to be less than a pixel, or positioned at irregular values (like 5.2 pixels), it has to round this, and this is where anti-aliasing comes into play which can lead to a blurry outcome. Therefore, special care has to be taken (and manual edits to be made) when downsizing delicate graphics. A really nice article I found and always reference is this one: http://mezzoblue.com/archives/2007/07/11/icon_design/

Stephan, thank you so much! 

I see that I have a lot to learn.. and work to do. That was very logical, and now I see why there is a pixel persona.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2