You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Increase font width similar to adding stroke

Hi,

This maybe a stupid question but here I go :)

I've got some text. I've added a 1 pixel stroke of the same colour and I like the appearance. But I want to add a smaller black stroke to this as well to given definition.

Is there a way to increase a font's overall initial sizing that is similar to adding a stroke? Hopefully I've explained myself

Thanks for any help

Martin

You can combine a (normal) stroke with layer FX outline and outer shadow, or 3D effects etc.

would help if you can give an

• example document,
  • maybe a mock-up of the desired effect (convert to curves, then add multiple strokes)
  • more information about the context it will be used
  • what Apps you intend to use (Photo, Designer, Publisher), or have purchased.

Used for longer texts, or for single artistic text?
Used on colored (white) background, or used in front of more complex backgrounds?
Needs to work even with partial transparency applied?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, NotMyFault said:

You can combine a (normal) stroke with layer FX outline and outer shadow, or 3D effects etc.

would help if you can give an

• example document,
  • maybe a mock-up of the desired effect (convert to curves, then add multiple strokes)
  • more information about the context it will be used
  • what Apps you intend to use (Photo, Designer, Publisher), or have purchased.

Used for longer texts, or for single artistic text?
Used on colored (white) background, or used in front of more complex backgrounds?
Needs to work even with partial transparency applied?

Hi @NotMyFault I came across this post today. I am interested in knowing the best method for 'thickening' up an existing font for use as a logo or slogan (i.e. increase font weight). Often, you find fonts that are perfect in design by don't have the appropriate weight (ie. they'll be too thin, etc).
For this usage scenario, what is the best method to increase weight via Affinity Designer?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.