You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Force snap to selected/prioritize snapping to selected

Simply put, an option that lets you designate a layer to be prioritized for snapping to (ignoring non-prioritized shapes close to the area where you're trying to snap if there are prioritized shapes there); I imagine it as simple right-click options accessible while mousing over the layers panel: for layers that haven't been designated for snapping, it'd give the option to make them one of the layers to snap to, while for layers that have already been designated, the right-click prompt would be to no longer prioritize them for snapping. An additional button next to the general snapping on/off button would let you reset the list of layers to prioritize snapping to entirely, effectively turning it off until you redesignate a layer as a priority for snapping.

This'd solve some of the issues I've had where due to several shapes being close together (for example due to shading layers on top of the layers they're shading) Designer fussed back-and-forth over which of two other shapes it'd try to snap to, completely refusing to snap to the shape I was actually trying to snap something to.

Check and see how many snapping candidates are set in the Snapping dialog. If it is too high you'll find all sorts of objects being chosen as candidates which can be a problem. I find that if I select the object I want to snap to after selecting a bunch of far away objects (to reset the candidates list) I have no problem.

EDIT: Should add that I do like you suggestion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, NullAllocationError said:

Simply put, an option that lets you designate a layer to be prioritized for snapping

I totally agree.  There is a right click on a layer in the layers panel function to ignore it from snapping.  But I'd rather have what you ask for, for it always be included as a candidate.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra