You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

High CPU bug when using Selection tools

Dear Developers,

There is a serious high CPU usage when using the Selection tool. The CPU stays consistently high, about 30-50%, when the Selection tool is active with bounding box around objects or anything. To reproduce this issue, use either the Rectangle, Oval, or Hand Selection tool, then click and draw a selection with any size, open up Task Manager and observe the CPU % for Affinity Photo when the Selection is active. This bug drains battery significantly faster on laptop and causes high heat if using Affinity Photo to edit photos. It does the same for desktop PC minus the battery drain.

You can use the rectangle selection tool and click and drag, click and drag, you will see a delay/lag when doing so which is annoying to use. I tested and compare the exact tool with Photoshop and it doesn't have all of those issues mentioned above.

Please improve the high CPU using Selection tools by reducing it to its minimum like Photoshop, around 5%.

Another issue is Affinity Photo crashes easily on my new Dell XPS 13 with core i5 quad core 10th gen CPU with 8GB RAM. I edit a 64MP photo and randomly edited it and Affinity Photo randomly crashes very often. I even reduced the undo history to only 10 and it still crashes. Affinity Photo is a RAM hog, unlike Photoshop. I then bought a new Dell XPS 13 with core i7 1065G CPU with 16GB RAM. I also had one crash with Affinity Photo so far. The performance of your software is unreliable on PC with 16GB RAM and under.

Plus, the rendering and filtering speed is much slower than Photoshop. See if you guys can improve those issues mention and improve its performance too.

Thank You

• Staff

Hey AffinityLover,

High CPU usage with the selection tools is to be expected, at least when dragging out. Once you've stopped dragging the CPU should settle down. I believe some changes to the speed in which the ants render will be coming int he future so this will likely improve your experience.

Do you have a crash report?

Affinity use live filters which Photoshop does not so this could be the difference you're seeing here.

• 1 year later...