You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Lag after deleting a stroke (AD 1.10.0 Mac version)

• Staff
15 hours ago, LeaS said:

Yes I want the file for print in future. Is it possible to create it smaller and then resize the document later when needed? Will this change any quality?

This will depend on the specific tool in use. Vector objects can be resized infinitely without quality loss - whereas Pixel objects cannot.

It's recommended that you create your document at the expected print size, so that you don't have to worry about resizing later down the line and risking losing quality in the image/document, but I do understand this is not always possible.

15 hours ago, LeaS said:

As far as your questions. I'm using desktop IMac. macOS Catalina version 10.15.7.  I'm using affinity version 1.10.8

Is this Affinity Designer, Publisher or Photo? What specific tool are you using when this lag occurs?

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

This will depend on the specific tool in use. Vector objects can be resized infinitely without quality loss - whereas Pixel objects cannot.

It's recommended that you create your document at the expected print size, so that you don't have to worry about resizing later down the line and risking losing quality in the image/document, but I do understand this is not always possible.

Is this Affinity Designer, Publisher or Photo? What specific tool are you using when this lag occurs?

Hi Dan, Thank you for the reply.

So, I may have just totally ruined my artwork by reducing it in size..oh dear 🤦🏼‍♀️ Oh well, it is what it is now.

Well, synchronicity is a strange thing isnt it..Just this minute before coming here I was curious about what a vector was and looked up the definition only to find that I still have no idea after reading it 😂 Then you mentioned it here lol. So, How would I know if I have a vector object or not? I have only created a painting with brush tools in Affinity photo. No vector objects right?? I mean are there even any "objects" at all when doing this?

So in saying all of this, reducing the size of the painting has helped with the lag because its now 50x50 cm's in size. 

So what you're saying then is I need to choose between having a large painting or brush lag while creating. And creating with brush lag is just no fun at all so i suppose affinity photo just doesn't handle this size at all?

The brush tool didnt matter really. It was anything I was doing after a few layers. About the third layer was when it started.

Thanks Dan :)

• Staff
12 hours ago, LeaS said:

So, I may have just totally ruined my artwork by reducing it in size..oh dear 🤦🏼‍♀️ Oh well, it is what it is now.

Provided your document hasn't been closed, you can simply 'Undo' any document resampling / resizing, as this creates a History step in Affinity - similar to using any tool in the file.

12 hours ago, LeaS said:

So, How would I know if I have a vector object or not?

In a very general sense, vector objects are based on mathematical formula, unlike raster objects which are based on pixels. This is covered further here- 

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/vector-vs-raster-what-you-need-to-know/

For example, a Curve drawn using the Pen Tool is a Vector object - but a stroke painted on a Pixel layer with the Paint Brush tool is a Raster object.

12 hours ago, LeaS said:

I have only created a painting with brush tools in Affinity photo. No vector objects right?? I mean are there even any "objects" at all when doing this?

The 'objects' we'd refer to in this case are the Pixel layer(s) you're painting on with the Paint Brush Tool. As above, these are Raster objects/layers - meaning that scaling may lose quality.

12 hours ago, LeaS said:

So what you're saying then is I need to choose between having a large painting or brush lag while creating. And creating with brush lag is just no fun at all so i suppose affinity photo just doesn't handle this size at all?

As you're creating raster based artwork, it's even more recommended to create your artwork at the required output size, as this means the document will not need to be rescaled/resampled before exporting/printing.

The larger the document canvas (and DPI) when using Raster based tools (such as the Paint Brush Tool on a Pixel layer), the more computational resources are required to display/calculate the paint brush strokes, and therefore the slower the app may be in rendering these brush strokes. This is another good reason for creating artwork at the intended output size, as creating work larger than required may lead to unnecessary strain on your systems resources.

Therefore the delay you're reporting will highly depend on your exact system specifications, the size & DPI of the canvas in Affinity and the size/complexity of the Brush being used with the Paint Brush Tool.

However, we may be able to slightly improve the delays you're seeing at any canvas size. Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of this dialog in the app for me?

Many thanks once again!

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Provided your document hasn't been closed, you can simply 'Undo' any document resampling / resizing, as this creates a History step in Affinity - similar to using any tool in the file.

In a very general sense, vector objects are based on mathematical formula, unlike raster objects which are based on pixels. This is covered further here- 

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/vector-vs-raster-what-you-need-to-know/

For example, a Curve drawn using the Pen Tool is a Vector object - but a stroke painted on a Pixel layer with the Paint Brush tool is a Raster object.

The 'objects' we'd refer to in this case are the Pixel layer(s) you're painting on with the Paint Brush Tool. As above, these are Raster objects/layers - meaning that scaling may lose quality.

As you're creating raster based artwork, it's even more recommended to create your artwork at the required output size, as this means the document will not need to be rescaled/resampled before exporting/printing.

The larger the document canvas (and DPI) when using Raster based tools (such as the Paint Brush Tool on a Pixel layer), the more computational resources are required to display/calculate the paint brush strokes, and therefore the slower the app may be in rendering these brush strokes. This is another good reason for creating artwork at the intended output size, as creating work larger than required may lead to unnecessary strain on your systems resources.

Therefore the delay you're reporting will highly depend on your exact system specifications, the size & DPI of the canvas in Affinity and the size/complexity of the Brush being used with the Paint Brush Tool.

However, we may be able to slightly improve the delays you're seeing at any canvas size. Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of this dialog in the app for me?

Many thanks once again!

Hi Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write this for me. I now understand what a vector object is so thank you for this. I actually didn't understand what rasterised meant either so I think I understand that now. I also didnt' realise that it mattered what size I was creating the artwork. This is going to bring up more questions for me now. I did have trouble with the printing of one ages ago. I'll ask more about that another time.

Image attached.

Thanks Dan :) 

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 1.06.52 pm.png

• Staff

No problem at all, more than happy to help!

If you have any further questions, or questions regarding printing I'd recommend creating a new thread, to keep each specific question separate :)

13 hours ago, LeaS said:

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 1.06.52 pm.png

In regards to the above, I'd recommend disabling 'Hardware Acceleration', then changing the Display to OpenGL and finally the View Quality to Nearest Neighbour.

Restart the app as prompted once you've changed these settings as then try painting in a new document. Does this improve the rendering speed for you?

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, more than happy to help!

If you have any further questions, or questions regarding printing I'd recommend creating a new thread, to keep each specific question separate :)

In regards to the above, I'd recommend disabling 'Hardware Acceleration', then changing the Display to OpenGL and finally the View Quality to Nearest Neighbour.

Restart the app as prompted once you've changed these settings as then try painting in a new document. Does this improve the rendering speed for you?

Thanks Dan. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan,

I did what you mentioned here and I think it had some improvement but not a lot. It's really no fun painting like this. I'm not sure what else to do. 

What if I created smaller paintings and then when finished I resize the document? Do you think this might help? And if I do this, Will I lose quality? 

Does the new version of affinity have the same issues do you know?

Thanks for your help in this. 

Lea :)

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble here LeaS!

On 2/7/2024 at 9:26 AM, LeaS said:

What if I created smaller paintings and then when finished I resize the document? Do you think this might help? And if I do this, Will I lose quality? 

As mentioned previously, this will depend on the types of tools / layers being used in your file. Pixel objects/layers will be resampled when changing their size (either increasing or decreasing) and this can lead to quality loss, though it is not guaranteed quality loss.

If you are using Vector objects/layers (such as the Pen Tool, or Quick Shape Objects), these can be resized infinitely without a perceived quality loss.

One option would be to create a 'sample' document at a smaller size, following all of the regular workflow you usually would. Then once completed, resize the document to the larger size you require for the final output file. This will allow you to see how much of your file is affected by the size change, and how much of this perceived quality may be lost.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:26 AM, LeaS said:

Does the new version of affinity have the same issues do you know?

It's hard to be exactly certain here as each users workflow and system can differ - therefore I'd actually recommend trying the 30 day desktop trial of V2, to see how this affects your regular workflows. You can trial the V2 apps from the below link -

https://affin.co/universaltrial

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

• 2 weeks later...