You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Problem with PDF Export for print, incorrect size and bleeding.

Hi there, 

I made this booklet but the printing agency keeps returning it for having incorrect measurements. 

Document Size shall be 216 x 154mm, final size should be 210 x 148 mm. 3mm bleed. 6mm safety distance from document size. 

I thought I could create a document in final size and later add the bleed that adds up to the document size? I only added bleed to the

external rim. 

The publisher file, the PDF I sent them (called Preview) and the proof (called return) they sent back to me are attached. 

I'm very grateful for any help in this matter!

Thank you so much, 

Marco

Tour de Kaas Europareise Heft.afpub Tour de Kaas Europareise Preview.pdf Tour de Kaas Europareise return.pdf

Hey,

Your design needs a minor fix. Namely, you have the internal bleed set to 0 and it should be at 3 mm as the others. The printing house centered the pages you submitted and probably that's why there are such strange shifts (they should also think and fit in).  Try uploading pages with all bleed set to 3mm. The prepress studio is responsible for the correct connection of the pages.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Poziomka, 

I "fixed" the internal bleeding but they still refuse it. They demand a page size of 216 x 154 a bleed of 3mm included. I exported the pdf including the cutting marks so the bleed is "visible". They still refuse it. I'm a bit confused and in a hurry. This thing needs to be printed soon!

Any help is appreciated. 

Cheers,

Marco

Tour de Kaas Europareise Heft.pdf

1 hour ago, Indiana82 said:

Hi Mike, 

what did you do to it? Looks like you added blank space on the outside and bottom. Is the file really the wrong size?

What do you mean? Yes, there's a <0.5mm white space at the bottom of each page, but that is in your pdf. But there isn't other "added blank space" in the file.

The internal sizes are:

Capture_000840.png.aa47219cd417981587a282f36ae56125.png

8 minutes ago, Indiana82 said:

So the size is correct according to your screenshot. But what did you do to achieve that? I mean what was the problem with the original file?

Nothing was wrong per se with your pdf, except the added pdf marks.

I would have used your provided APub file but that has watermarked images.

All I did was load the pdf into QXP in an image box that allowed the bleed without the crop marks and make a new pdf.

I have just had some newsletters printed using A5 with 3mm bleed all around A5 is 148x210 Portrait which with 3mm bleed around is 154x216. Do not select crop marks as that will cause confusion. Most printers use SRA2 paper and stack jobs of similar qty on one sheet, so they do not want crop marks taking up the extra room. The proofing software will only shrink the submitted proof to fit that matrix, if you put crop marks in they will shrink the page, so it fits inc. crop marks. If you look at my screen shot you will see I have included a 3mm bleed all round but did not bleed in the inner margin of the page, but still used it for the proofing software. The inner dotted line is the safety margin not to exceed unless using bleed to give them tolerence

image.png.05c345726235ee8a644eca29a9a5e2f3.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Yeah, as said I just included the crop marks at one point to show them that the bleed is included. I gave this project to Flyeralarm now. Even with the professional data check there were no problems, so I guess this is a problem with this very special printing agency. They don't even print themselves, they just moderate printing jobs to smaller printing businesses. 

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Did you try submitting my pdf?

Hi, 

No I didn't. There is nobody working on weekends and I had to act to keep the schedule. My primary goal was to find the mistake I made and to correct it to have 100 % chance that my file will be accepted on Monday. But apparently there was no mistake on my behalf. So the chances that the file will be rejected again were rather high. I therefore took the shortcut called Flyeralarm ;-)  and my PDF passed the datacheck without a hickup. Even saved 100€. 

Thank you for you help, though! I really appreciate it!