You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo & Designer Crash on Windows 10 after yesterday's update ??

My Affinity Photo & Designer apps were updated to the newest 1.10 version on 8/4/21 and they worked fine.  But something was updated yesterday 8/5/21 and now neither application will open.  They crash while they are trying to open.  I really need these apps for work.  Any ideas?  Thank you!

• Staff

Hi @tammygi Welcome to the forums. We are in the process of releasing new betas that include fixes for some of the issues found in the 1.10 updates. As they become available you can download and install them along side the public version to see if they resolve the issues.

If not please let us know and include the crash report from the beta for us to check. (Note to go into the beta folder to retrieve the crash report and not the public version)

I too update to the latest 1.10 version and now my Canon Pima Pro-100 printer will not print any image. My printer still continues to work just fine with other applications. When I attempt to print, I get a message Code 300 (unable to connect to the printer). As I said, this only occurs when using Affinity Photo. Please add me to the new beta which hopefully will correct this problem.

I am using a MacBook Pro running Catalina version 10.15.7.

I was hoping the last update will fix my problem with Affinity Photo - it crashes and becomes unresponsive all the time, but it actually got worse. The program was running just fine when I first installed it in mid June. Any idea what´s going on?

I have had no issues with 1.10 on my Mac, but the Windows version under Window 10 crashes when using any sort of complex tool as far as I can tell. I get a hard crash with flood select, brush select, or doing too many operations in a row, after the update.

It has been difficult to reproduce precisely, but I have not yet been able to finish editing a single image today since the update (1.10) without a hard crash requiring a force quite of the application (usually with data loss, so I'm saving a lot).

I will seek out a beta or roll back to 1.9.x and see if that helps.

Edited by Tearlach
clarity

I updated to Affinity Photo 1.10 on 8/8 and it has crashed every time I've had it open (the same problem I had with the 1.9 versions, but not the 1.8 versions).  It has crashed with both .jpg and .tiff files.

It crashed when: using the distort filters on .jpg files, attempting focus merges with .tiff files, when using the source clone brush after a focus merge, when cropping, immediately after placing a new layer, when right-clicking on a file in windows explorer and trying to open with Photo, and at least once when I was literally staring at the screen trying to figure out what to do next.

I've included my last 5 .dmp files.  If you want more, I've got more.
I updated Windows prior to updating Affinity.  I'm using Windows 10.0.19042 on a PC Desktop:  Intel Core I7-7700k, 4.2 GHz, 4 Cores, 32 gb of Ram.
Let me know if you need more detailed Windows info.
Thanks.

11a0c7d3-3664-4b45-9c22-0dce5e7c350d.dmp 38949b10-3e22-4596-82cf-0d80862bbfc4.dmp 9017327c-98e4-4512-898e-8b22b5948256.dmp ee1e2b51-315d-4108-a4ff-81d389768d15.dmp f1397868-8469-4440-9109-5432a6646c9b.dmp

I was unable to find any .dmp files in my

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

folder. Have they moved? Is it possible the crash is so hard that a report is not generated? Just trying to provide more useful information.

(I'm sorry if that seems a silly question, but I'm a highly seasoned Mac/UNIX guy, and struggle through a day in Windows at the office). Cheers.

Hello @Tearlach

Go back to the 1.0 folder and attach the log.txt.

And, can you tell more about the hardware on the Windows mashine (CPU, GPU)?

Edited by Komatös

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@RWorters

Please use sfc to scan for corrupt Windows system files or/and corrupt or missing .NET files.

To do so: Right click on the Windows start menu button. Chose Command prompt (Admin). In the new window type sfc /scannow.

Please make a fresh update to the newest GPU drivers. A complete uninstall before is recommendet.

Edited by Komatös
New solution

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

1 hour ago, Nora M. said:

I was hoping the last update will fix my problem with Affinity Photo - it crashes and becomes unresponsive all the time, but it actually got worse. The program was running just fine when I first installed it in mid June. Any idea what´s going on?

Please provide us with a crash report, if possible.

45 minutes ago, Komatös said:

Hello @Tearlach

Go back to the 1.0 folder and attach the log.txt.

And, can you tell more about the hardware on the Windows mashine (CPU, GPU)?

Unfortunately my log.txt file appears to be empty as well. It's there, just blank.  I suspect the problem is that I am not fully crashing, but hanging indefinitely with the dreaded hourglass. The only way out is to 'close window' and then allow Windows to force it to quit. That seems to leave no trace in those folders.

The hardware is a pretty new Lenovo i5-10400 @ 2.9GHz with 24GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro (current). The GPU is the built-in Intel integrated UHD Graphics 360 with whatever shared RAM the system is assigning it.

I may go ahead and uninstall and roll back to 1.9.2. It was working fine, honestly.

thanks

4 minutes ago, Tearlach said:

I may go ahead and uninstall and roll back to 1.9.2. It was working fine, honestly.

thanks

Or you try with deactivated hardware acceleration.

Komatös,

Having tried your suggestions to update my drivers, overall, it performed much better, though I still had a couple of crashes.
At least twice, it didn't completely shut down, but the screen would get a faded look, and it would say "Affinity Photo (Not Responding)" while a little blue circle spinned.
Once this happened when I tried to resize the background layer.  I don't believe it generated .dmp files for these specific instances because there weren't any with a time stamp at the time of their occurrance.

I've attached 2 other .dmp files, which were when the program completely crashed.
Thank you for you suggestions/help.

671bf900-1f47-4fab-9361-2a1391345cd0.dmp 6736fd0b-e8c2-40a1-b0cf-5f75e5012191.dmp

HUGE problems with 1.10 AfPub - and I cannot see how do download an update or beta version, bought it from the app store as advised at the time from the e flyer. Please sort this it's extremely inconvenient as is stopping production of a project.

I posted and uploaded a crash report. But I've heard nothing.

I should follow up as well to say that I did a clean remove-and-install of the public beta version on my Windows 10 machine at the office. I also turned OFF hardware acceleration.

The application was snappier and more stable for a little while. I couldn't reproduce the crashes from a formula of commands another user posted here at all, so I thought it was fixed.

However, after about a day's work, it went back to the seemingly random crashes (really they are 'hangs' in the sense that the app is running, but not responding - window 'greyed' out in Windows, must force quit the app.) in my version of Photo.  Trouble is, like the poster above, I don't get a .dmp file created when it crashes that way that I can submit.

They usually happen when I'm working quickly (lots of strings of mouse actions - sometimes it feels like it's lagging behind before it hangs).

They don't always happen from a specific task (selecting, dragging a selection), or on a specific action (mouse_up, mouse_down, right click, left click).  

Any of those things - or sometimes none of those things seem to cause it. Rarely it happens in background (I return to the app from working elsewhere and find it has hung up).

I have  not rolled back to 1.9.2 yet, but I think that's my current best option. I have not yet seen the same behviour on my Mac (an M1 processor MacBook Air with v1.10 running under MacOS 11 - current release).

-charlie

If deactivating the hardware acceleration does not help, and reinstalling the GPU drivers does not help either, there is a possibility that Windows system components (Visual C and dotNET) are defective.
I recommend using the Windows tool sfc to check for inconsistencies.
This works like this: Right-click on the Windows Start menu symbol, select CMD (Administrator). Type sfc /scannow and confirm with Enter.

Trying that now (DISM.exe Restorehealth followed by sfc/).

The logfile (cbs.log) indicates a few random directories that are 'owned twice or have security set twice', mostly they seem to be directories in the StartMenu tree.  They are all marked "arch amd64", which is a little peculiar given it's an Intel platform...  but I suppose that could just be a weird windows thing.  While it seems to think they are all fixed, the fixes appear to have replaced the owner of the directory with the exact same owner. Example from CBS.log:

2021-08-17 08:10:53, Info                  CSI    00000106 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
   Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.1151, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
   New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.1151, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

Probably half a dozen entires like that.  Anyway - they seem like unlikely candidates to cause issues like this, but we'll see.

So purely as a point of interest. Today the 1.10 version of Photo on Mac had a spasm of quitting spontaneously and unexpectedly. I wasn't even using it, it was just running in background. I haven't seen a Mac program do that in years. It did at least leave traces in the crash log console, which I will probably go post on the Mac crash report section... but the problems are not exclusive to the Windows side.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @Lee D

The only way I was able to resolve my problem was to revert back to version 1.9.2 in order to have a working version for my business.  I haven't had time to debug the new version so I think I'll wait on the beta versions at this point, but I sure hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Thanks!

I had some success using the following:

Update Windows, and even though it says it will automatically update your drivers, in the Update screen, under Optional Updates, select your drivers to make sure they update.
Update the Affinity Software.
Use the sfc /SCANNOW command recommended by Komatos (I had to type in all caps in order for it to run)
I scanned my registry using CC Cleaner to check for old/obsolete entries and deleted them.
I disabled the "Enable OpenCL compute acceleration" option in the Affinity Preferences/Performance screen (that seems counter-intuitive, but once I did that Affinity stopped greying out and giving me the "not responding" message).

Doing the above helped me tremendously.  I haven't updated to the latest version of Affinity Photo which is supposed to fix some bugs, but I will before too long.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried reinstalling Affinity Designer 1.10 today.  And after doing most of what has been recommended above, it still crashes right after loading in Windows 10.

@Lee D Here are my crash reports (finally!).

I'm using the older version of Affinity Photo and will not try the new version until it's more stable with Windows.

d2f7d977-738d-470b-864e-c144854af591.dmpb4a3fd09-4294-4eea-aefa-e126045b72e6.dmp6cf82492-2d44-416f-9504-3e4bbc6489a3.dmp6af4cba8-8eaa-408a-9912-e4d47589cc62.dmp0a09d557-705d-48c1-a3d7-930c0a226650.dmpd200dc10-8cf2-450a-abd7-b5e851e4dd3a.dmp