You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anchors that aren't anchors and can't be deleted

In the document I am currently working on I have discovered that there are a huge number of excess anchors, usually between 3 and 5 for each heading. Some have names that relate to previous versions of the titles of headings that have now changed. Some of these excess anchors I have been able to delete, but there are a huge number of supposed anchors in the list of anchors, all with an em-dash at the ends of their names, that don't seem to actually have a corresponding anchor in the actual document. If I try to delete these non-anchors, they don't go away, but instead chunks get deleted from the text of the document. 

How can I get rid of these non-anchor anchors without destroying my document?

• Staff

Hi @ricecrispies,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! This is certainly the first time I've seen this issue being reported, so without seeing your document I'm not 100% certain why these have been created or the best way to remove them.

Can you please upload a copy of your .afpub file to the following link for me, then once it has been uploaded reply here to let me know?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/axZxJ9tbEDXWtkgEiBWS

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

HI Dan,

I've uploaded the file.

Some more background:

Because of this bug, which is to do with resizing the document, I had to delete the text boxes I had created before resizing, after copying and pasting their contents into new text boxes. The anchors with an em-dash at the end of their names seem to be those belonging to the deleted text boxes.

However, even after accounting for these, there were still quite a few other duplicate anchors. Some of these I had already deleted by the time the document had got to the state it was in when I uploaded it here.

• Staff

Many thanks for your file and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm I'm seeing the same issue as yourself, and I cannot see any cause for these duplicate anchors, nor do I understand why these cannot be deleted successfully at this time.

Therefore I'm getting this logged with our developers now as a bug, which we hope to have resolved shortly. I'll be sure to include the information above within the dev report.

Many thanks once again for your file/report, as this helps us to continue to improve the Affinity apps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

I have just been informed by a member of our QA team that this issue is a known bug between Anchors and TOC's, which has been fixed in the latest beta 1.10 - unfortunately this fix will only apply to newly created documents/TOCs, but in the meantime a colleague of mine has been able to 'clean up' this document for you - so I'll be sending this back to the email address registered to your Affinity Forum account, through Dropbox.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I have just been informed by a member of our QA team that this issue is a known bug between Anchors and TOC's, which has been fixed in the latest beta 1.10 - unfortunately this fix will only apply to newly created documents/TOCs, but in the meantime a colleague of mine has been able to 'clean up' this document for you - so I'll be sending this back to the email address registered to your Affinity Forum account, through Dropbox.

I hope this helps!

Thank you, that's very kind of you.

• 10 months later...
On 7/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, Dan C said:

I hope this helps!

Dan, almost a year later and on the latest 10.1.5 (release version) I am facing similar problems. The anchors populate my file after generating first TOC. Do have any usable cleaning tool developed by now?

Regards, Tomek

• Staff

Hi @tomek_Q,

I can confirm the issue being reported here originally was that when updating a TOC, superfluous anchors were not being removed, causing duplicate anchors to be generated - this issue was fixed in update 1.10.1

13 hours ago, tomek_Q said:

The anchors populate my file after generating first TOC

When generating a TOC, each item in the TOC is automatically a hyperlink to the page for the text that generated the TOC item, meaning it will be displayed in the Anchors panel.

This is standard behaviour for a TOC, and is expected in Publisher - to change this behaviour, within the TOC Studio, please make sure Include as PDF Bookmark is unchecked, then create/update your TOC. You should now find that said Anchors are not created :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

This is standard behaviour for a TOC

So, to avoid a mess, but still have a proper TOC in the PDF file I should generate one in Publisher with the PDF option ON only at the very end of the production cycle?

2 minutes ago, tomek_Q said:

So, to avoid a mess, but still have a proper TOC in the PDF file I should generate one in Publisher with the PDF option ON only at the very end of the production cycle?

That is how I would do it.

Another trick I have found useful for fixing odd/bad behaviour with ToCs is to alway use a separate set of text frames for their use, exclusively. This way I can also delete the ToC text frames if things get really weird. It is as though some stuff from the ToC is attached to the text frame and then a newly generated ToC will inherits/interprets the mess.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Another trick I have found useful for fixing odd/bad behaviour with ToCs is to alway use a separate set of text frames for their use, exclusively.

That's the way I'm usually working. I mastered that technique during twenty or so years on the ID side of the field;-)